81 ✽

~Brie

I gently pet Dash, getting the chance to take a good look at him. He looked physically ill and old.

How did I not notice this?

His coat wasn't as shiny as it used to be and he looked smaller. And I thought his excessive sleeping, his low energy and avoiding his meal was just him acting out because everyone had a lot going on that he felt left out.

A shaky sob escaped me and I heard the door close behind me.

“Honey?”

I nodded, painfully taking my hand away from my Dash.

“Where's Aubree?” I sniffed.

“Understanding that we can't have her passing out anymore so she's trying to calm down.”

I nodded.

“Honey why don't you talk her into—”

“Skipping the burial of our dog? You know I can't do that, Daddy” I shake my head. “Aubs always did the hard new puppy stuff when you and Em brought Dash home. And you know it's not secret that he was much closer to her than to me.”

“Because you married earlier and left home. But I do get what you're trying to say honey.”

The door opened again and the vet walked in with Aubree looking less hysterical now.

“Hi Dash: she whispers, a sad smile on her face. “He's forever going to the best birthday present isn't he Brie?”

“Best sweet sixteen birthday present ever” I replied.

“Are you ready to begin the burial ma'am?” the vet asked after a while of my sister whispering goodbyes that made me start to cry all over again.

Aubree nodded.

“Yeah let's do it” she replied.

Our dad led us out of the vet clinic. We chose our backyard for the burial. It was his favorite place to be on a regular day.

“Mom was outraged when Daddy and Em brought you home the day we turned sixteen” I began when it was my turn to say something after the digging had been completed. “But she babied you the most out of her three children” I chuckled with a sniff. “We love you Dashy.”

Aubree wrapped her arms around me.

“You've watched our kids being born, loved them like they do you and given Brie and I the best almost nineteen years of our lives and we'll always love you for that, Dashy” my sister added.

He was lowered into the three foot grave and we planted a small sassafras tree to mark where he was buried. It took a while for everything to be over.

“We need to get the kids to sleep, Brie and you two need some rest” Emmett said, getting Aubree and I to go inside the house. “We all need some sleep okay?”

I nodded.

“Yeah, I'll sleep in my room with Oliver tonight. I'm not in the mood to deal with Beck or Rick” Aubree said.