65 ✽

~Brie

Grocery bags full of baking supplies filled the kitchen. As Roman excitedly stirred the oatmeal raisin cookie dough, I juggled baking pans in the oven, trying to forget that my life as I knew it, was about to end.

Damn you Herve!

“Okay so twenty more minutes on that pan, thirty more on this one... oh Lord! Signs!” I stopped muttering and gasped. “Manny, we need to make signs!”

“I can make the signs Mommy. Would you like me to make them?”

I stood up from where I was crouching in front of the oven.

“No, baby. You just keep stirring. I'll go raid your room for art supplies.”

“Okay.”

I started toward Roman's room when the doorbell rang.

“Who is it?” I muttered with a groan and made a detour away from the stairs to answer it.

The doorbell went off two times again.

“Geeze relax. I'm coming” I frowned as I reached the door.

I pulled it open.

“Morning!” Nia chirped, kissing me on the cheek before pushing her way inside.

“What are you doing here?”

“Helping with my nephew's bakesale duh.”

“You didn't have to Nia. We've got it all under control.”

“Yeah well I'm already here so suck it up.”

I chuckled.

“Where's my handsome Manny?”

“In the kitchen.”

“Okay.”

I turned to close the door when she stopped me.

“Hold it open for your brother, will you?”

“Emmett's here?”

“Yep. He's bringing in the apples for the caramel apple cookies I'm going to make.”

She disappeared behind a pillar before I could ask anything else. I sighed and stepped outside.

“Emmett? C'mon, I've got a lot to do!”

“Just leave the door open. I'll be there in a second!” he yelled back.

I sighed and did just that.

“Where's Emmett?” Nia asked as I stepped back into the kitchen.

“Right here” my brother replied from behind me as he set a box of apples on the counter.

He smiled at me.

“We're going to use Memaw's recipe.”

I chuckled.