A New Foe

As Tanjiro used all the force he could manage to output his attack, the entire train's first car got severed.

In a last-ditch attempt, the demon grew out all of its flesh and grabbed all the passengers. But Tanjiro noticed this and, in a fiery blaze, cut up all of the demon flesh in an instant. All over the train, there was a flame trail following Tanjiro as he protected the passengers. The train started to shake, and this caused it to get off the rail entirely. It started rattling exceptionally loudly.

Shit! The train will tumble off course at this point! There is nothing I can do except brace for impact!

Tanjiro looked back towards the rest of the train and remembered the passengers. He didn't know how to save them from the impact. He wasted so much time thinking about how to save the passengers that the train hit the ground hard.

 He wasted so much time thinking about how to save the passengers that the train hit the ground hard

Tanjiro's body was thrown around like a toy, eventually landing on the ground off to the side. He was lying face down on the hard dirt when he raised his face in pain.

Ugh...that...hurt... I think I might've broken a rib or two...

He stood up slowly, still crunching from the pain, holding his side. He surveyed the area quickly with strained eyes. He saw the engineer who tried to stab him stuck under the train. His leg was crushed beneath the train's weight. Tanjiro walked slowly over to him to help him. The engineer looked up at Tanjiro, standing above him. Not a word was said, but they both knew the engineer was in dire need of help. Tanjiro put aside his grudge for trying to stab him and crouched down, holding the man's shoulders, and pulled. The man groaned out in pain as Tanjiro was only making his injuries worse. Tanjiro stopped and tried lifting the train's side completely so he could crawl out. He grabbed the train's side with both hands and used all the energy he had left to lift the train slightly. The engineer crawled out, and once he saw the engineer was safe, Tanjiro dropped it. He fell back onto his bottom in exhaustion. He was panting while looking up into the night sky, satisfied with the job he had done tonight. He had to lie back down to catch his breath.

 He had to lie back down to catch his breath