An Important Conversation Part 2

Tanjiro walked into the infirmary and saw a single bed being occupied. The occupant had the blanket covering themself. They were facing away from the entrance and Tanjiro walked up to the bed knowing the familiar scent.

He felt terrible for his actions. His cheek was still throbbing with pain from Shinobu's slap and his lips slowly curved downwards. His eyebrows furrowed and he looked down. He wished he could go back in time and never have to make Kanao or Shinobu deal with this pain.

I caused this.....

He glanced back up to the bed and tried to push down his feelings and put on a smile for his lover

"Kanao?"

She flinched under the covers upon hearing her name and slowly turned around.

"Y-Yes Tanjiro...?"

He sat on the empty space of her bed while sighing. She didn't take up much of the bed because she had a small frame. After all, Tanjiro had seen every inch of her so he would know.

He set down Nezuko's box beside the bed since his back needed a rest from carrying her all day.

"How are you feeling?"

Kanao glanced to the side not wanting to face Tanjiro's eyes but she let out her soft voice.

"I'm fine..."

Which was a lie. She had been sick all day. She could barely sleep and was always tired. She'd been getting weird cravings that she never would've asked for and constant vomiting. She even had a bucket beside her bed just so she didn't have to run to the bathroom. And the mood swings. She gets random bursts of different emotions almost every hour.

Tanjiro both picked up on the scent of her lying and saw her pale face. He reached out a hand and cupped her petite face.

"You don't have to pretend to be strong for me."

She both hated and loved how he always knew when she lied. She could always be her true self around him but sometimes she doesn't like explaining her true feelings so it's always a hassle to lay them out in front of him.

"Okay fine...I'm sick...Shinobu-sama took my temperature earlier and the thermometer said I have a fever of 40 degrees..."

Tanjiro was shocked at how high her temperature was. "4-40 degrees!?"

She coughed to the side and nodded. "Yeah..."

"Jeez..."

"Also as you know I'm pregnant so...yeah..." She tried smiling weakly to liven the mood but it didn't work much.

"How far along are you?"

"3 months..."

"Damn...I'm really sorry Kanao. Truly."

She shook her head before coughing once more. "N-No it's fine...I thought it was a safe day for me, so it's technically my fault...."

"Don't be ridiculous. I brought up the idea so it's my fault. If I never would've asked, you wouldn't have been in this situation."