The Swordsmith Village Part 1

Tanjiro's eyes fluttered awake as he could feel something poking his abdomen. He could see a small boy with a stick probing Tanjiro. He could hear a young voice as his body was waking up slowly.

"Is he dead...?"

Tanjiro sat up and was confused as to why this boy was poking him with a stick. "Hey!"

Tanjiro recognized his mask and assumed that he was also from this village. The beaming rays of the sun hit his eyes as he covered his face with a hand to see the boy properly. He stood up slowly from his uncomfortable sleeping position. Tanjiro could feel his cheeks were dried and puffy from his crying last night.

"Who're you?"

"I'm Kotetsu! And you?"

"The name's Tanjiro Kamado. The Sun Hashira. Nice to meet you."

"A-A hashira!? Sorry for disrespecting you!" Kotetsu bowed deeply.

Tanjiro shook his head and waved his hand in the air dismissing him

Tanjiro shook his head and waved his hand in the air dismissing him. "No, no it's fine. You didn't disrespect me."

"Oh okay...so what were you doing out here? It seems like you were sleeping."

"I um...was taking a walk last night and fell asleep under this tree...I needed some peace y'know...?" Tanjiro was chuckling sheepishly because he hoped Kotetsu would buy his white lie.

But it wasn't entirely a lie. Tanjiro still had Kanao on the back of his mind and was trying not to think of the inevitable conversation with her when he returned.

He tried to shake away the thought. "How old are you Kotetsu-kun?"

"Ten!"

"I see. Why don't you run along back home to your parents? I'm sure they're worried about where you are."

"I don't have any parents. My dad died suddenly and I don't have any siblings."

"Oh...that's unfortunate. Then what are you doing out here?"

"I was running from that hashira jerk that was trying to get me to give over the key!! But I won't!"

Tanjiro was confused about who he was referring to.

"Hashira jerk? What key?"

"A stupid hashira with kelp hair was trying to get me to hand over a key to a mechanical doll that is used to train...but I won't give it to him because it might break and I have no idea how to fix it!"

"I see..."

Some footsteps could be heard and they both turned their heads to see the hashira Kotetsu was referring to.