Kanao & Tanjiro's Life Changing

A day earlier at the Butterfly Mansion...

. . .

Kanao's eyes fluttered awake as she sat up from her futon. She recognized the room. She looked around wondering what she was doing here. She also noticed that she was not wearing her uniform and someone had changed her out of it into the medical ward outfit Shinobu gives her patients in the butterfly mansion.

These clothes...what am I doing here?

Then she heard a voice come from beside her.

"Zenitsu brought you."

Kanao turned to see the familiar butterfly-haoried woman. Shinobu Kocho. Kanao sighed seeing her. Shinbobu always seemed to calm her spirits. The short woman standing over Kanao didn't wear her usual smile and her face contorted with a serious look.

"Shinobu-sama."

"I was worried. How are you feeling?"

After a couple of seconds of her not answering, Shinobu knew that look that Kanao was giving. Her eyes were glazed with confusion.

"You seem very surprised, but we're the ones who are surprised by your sudden collapse. Zenitsu brought you in late at night yesterday. He said you fell unconscious while training. It's quite the distance from Kamado's estate to here, you know?"

"Why....? Why did I collapse?"

"It seems like anemia. Do you have any idea why?"

"No..."

"Is that so..."

I've been sick recently but I thought nothing of it...I think I started feeling nauseous too...I also feel really hungry...why?

Shinobu looked at Kanao with a mix of seriousness and disappointment. "Then, you really don't know?"

Kanao shook her head slightly confirming Shinobu's suspicion.

"You are pregnant."

The words hit Kanao like a train. In an instant, she could feel her life fall apart. One simple action, ruined her life.

As the seconds passed and she confirmed that Kanao had heard her master properly, she looked at her waist knowing there was life growing inside her. Shinobu didn't really know how to make this situation any better.

"Kanao...that seems to be the case here."

Her eyes started to water and her shaking started. She brought her hands up to her mouth as her tears flowed out of her eyes.

 She brought her hands up to her mouth as her tears flowed out of her eyes

Kanao tried to calm herself by breathing in and out. Her crying stopped somewhat and she tightened her arms around her waist knowing her offspring grew there. Shinobu backed off a little realizing she needed time to adjust to the news.

She might need some time to process this news.

"I'll run some tests later to try and determine how far along you are but I can't guarantee an answer."