8

I need to quit thinking about Lauren. I just met her today and just looking at her causes butterflies in my stomach and my heart races when I look at her or hear her say my name. I know I shouldn't feel like this but I do. It's so cute though when she blushes and with how easy it is to make her blush. She is adorable.

   It's crazy because I have never felt like this for anyone else and I don't understand why it has to be Lauren. I finally feel my eyes getting heavy and I drift off to sleep my first night here.
Sometime during the night I am being shaken awake by Lauren with a worried look in her eyes and I sit up suddenly. I realize I am crying when she reaches for my face and wipes tears away. "Kyler, are you okay? You were screaming in your sleep." I feel even worse now for waking her up because of my nightmare of the wreck.

   "I will be okay, just a bad dream. Sorry I woke you up."

   Lauren caresses my cheek "sweetie it's okay, I'm not worried about you waking me up. What was your dream about?"

   I lie back down in bed and close my eyes letting out a deep sigh. "It was about the wreck and my mom...." I take a deep breath because I can still see all the blood and the sound of glass.

   Lauren starts stroking my hair "it's okay honey. I will sit right here until you go back to sleep. Everything's going to be okay sweetie. Try and get some sleep okay." I haven't had a dream about the accident in a while. Why now?

   "Thank you Lauren but you don't have to sit with me. You need to get back to bed and get some sleep."

   Lauren continues stroking my hair and says "I'm not going anywhere until you are asleep. I want to know that you're okay, now go to sleep, I promise it's okay." I close my eyes from her soothing voice and it doesn't take long before I drift off to sleep as she is running her fingers through my hair.

   Morning rolls around and I wake up to the smell of food cooking. I look at my Apple watch as I am putting it on and see it's 7:13. I get up and go downstairs. As I get to the bottom of the stairs, I look to the kitchen and I see Lauren at the stove cooking. A is man sitting at the island drinking coffee and reading the newspaper. I assume that is Mike even though I have not seen him in nearly ten years. I glance back over at Lauren and can't help but stare at her sexy ass and toned legs in those short pajama shorts she has on.

   Breaking from my trance I start to turn the corner to enter the kitchen but stop as I hear Lauren say "I don't know why you do this Mike. You have a family here at home, that should be your priority. Your daughter should be your priority."

   Mike stands up and says "well I have to work, I can't let it go and you know that. Maybe we should have already had a baby so you would have something to occupy yourself with if you're bored." What the hell, why would he say that? I want to walk on in but I don't want to interrupt them either. Yes, I know by standing here eavesdropping I'm being nosy but I want to know what the hell is going on since I live here now.

   Lauren sighs "a baby is not a thing Mike and definitely not to just occupy my time. You know my stance on..."

   Mike cuts Lauren off "yes I know, fix my relationship with her first, blah, blah, blah."
Lauren looks at him "she lost her mother Mike in a terrible way and she was right there too. It could have been Kyler, have you ever thought about that? You are the only parent she has left and even if her mother was still alive you still needed to mend the relationship with her. That is something that should have been done before now and honestly should have never got to this point."

   I decide to walk on into the kitchen and as soon as I come into Mike's view he says "Kyler... sorry I could not make it to pick you up yesterday but things came up that I had to deal with." I just nod and decide to fix myself a cup of coffee. I don't really know what to say to him so I decide it is best for me to stay quiet.

   As I sit down to drink my coffee, Lauren sits a plate of sausage, bacon and eggs in front of me and smiles. "Good morning Kyler," she says.

   I smile, "good morning Lauren." I small blush coats her cheeks and she quickly lowers her head while trying to keep from smiling more.

   Mike glares at me then turns to look at Lauren. "What, you two buddy buddy already?" Lauren just shakes her head and sighs as she turns back to the stove. He is such a fucking asshole.

   Mike takes a bite of his food after Lauren sets his plate in front of him. About the time Lauren sits down to eat hers, he gets a text message then tells her he has to head into work early but will be home by 6 this afternoon. She just sighs and shakes her head again. After nearly forcefully kissing her on the lips he looks at me and awkwardly says, "I guess we have some catching up to do over dinner tonight." I hate seeing him kiss her and I feel a bit jealous because of the action. I want it to be me kissing her not him even though she is his wife.

  Guess this is weird for him too but it wouldn't be if he would have made an effort to be part of my life before now. Or maybe he thought I would welcome him with open arms and act as if nothing ever happened. That definitely is not happening especially since he broke my family by cheating on mom. Plus his second marriage failed because of the same thing.

   He obviously has a problem with being faithful which makes me wonder if he has cheated on Lauren. I wonder if she knows why his last two marriages didn't last. She doesn't seem like the type to be with a cheater and she sure doesn't deserve to be cheated on.

   Lauren and I each finish our breakfast in silence. I look up at her as she is taking the last bite of her pancakes and I just can't look away. Watching her soft, plump lips wrap around the fork sends a shiver down my spine and a rush of heat between my legs. Damn, I wish I was that fork.