Epilogue

My beautiful, amazing wife, Kyler and I have been married a little over a year. I will honestly say that I was a little nervous to get married because Kyler is young but it has been the absolute best thing I have ever done. I never imagined that I could be so happily married. I know that sounds cheesy and sounds like something that would come out of Kyler's mouth but I am just so extremely happy.

   Some people say everything changes once you get married and I will admit my first marriage did. However, I think marriage is what you make it. I know we have only been married a short time but nothing has really changed between us. If anything, we have a deeper bond and connection than we ever did before.

   Four days after we returned from our honeymoon, my cousin Blakley showed up unexpectedly. Well, unexpectedly for us, for her though, she was under the impression that I knew she was coming to stay with us. Aunt Suzie sent Blakley to stay with me and Kyler until she finalized the sale of their house in Austin because she apparently wanted to move to San Antonio. Aunt Suzie didn't bother checking with me beforehand, she just sent her 19 year old pregnant daughter to stay with us.

   Yes, Blakley is pregnant and Aunt Suzie never showed up even after her house was sold. Aunt Suzie never came to our apartment or called us or her daughter. I tried calling numerous times but she never answered. Finally I called my mom to see if she had heard from Aunt Suzie but she hadn't either. A couple days later, mom was finally able to get ahold of Aunt Suzie. The shocker to the whole ordeal was when mom called her and found out my Aunt Suzie went on an Alaskan cruise after selling her house. She told mom that she wasn't ready to help raise another kid or to be a grandmother. To say mom was pissed at her sister was an understatement.

   Aunt Suzie apparently acted like Blakley was at fault for getting pregnant even though she wasn't. You see, Blakley was supposed to graduate the same year that Kyler did but at the end of May she was raped at a senior party she went to. So she missed her last month of school because of that, then found out she was pregnant before her and Aunt Suzie came to mine and Kyler's wedding but we didn't know that. Nothing was said and that would explain why my cousin was so distant and not herself.

   I just don't see how any mother could abandon their child especially in a time of need and Blakley definitely needed her mother. Mom is so disappointed with her sister and the fact that she could just up and leave her child especially in a time of need. Kyler and I took her in though and helped support her in any way possible. I registered for school at Alamo Vista so she could finish and graduate high school. She had turned 19 a few days before mine and Kyler's wedding so she graduated as a pregnant 19 year old but that's okay too. She has had an amazing support system and was able to graduate so that's all that matters.

   Kyler also finally opened the envelope that her mother had left her that was in the safe deposit box. She wasn't sure what to expect but what she found was a very long letter about her mom's first pregnancy, how she was forced to give him up during her postpartum depression and how she spent years and years trying to find her baby even though it was a closed adoption. Included in the letter, Kyler's mom stated that she had finally found out that her first born lived in Texas. That was as far as she had gotten before she passed away.

   My heart broke for Kyler's mom with what she went through because of Mike and his parents. I will never understand how it was even allowed for them to have that kind of control and say so when Sara was suffering from postpartum depression and obviously wasn't in her right mind to make that kind of decision. Kyler cried and I cried with her over the pain that was obvious in her mother's words and how that affected her emotionally and mentally. At least Kyler knew more details about the situation with her brother and she even let Kyle read the letter so he knew that his birth mother had tried her best to find him.