83

Sunday morning rolls around and we get ready for the day and load the suitcases into my Ford Fusion. I open Spotify and play my King Princess station and we head to the airport. On our way Lauren asks, "have you thought anymore about college? You have to make a decision so you don't lose any of your scholarships. I'm not trying to rush you but I kind of need to know so I can start applying for a job somewhere."

   I know she is right and I think I know what I want to do and where I want to go. I just haven't told Lauren yet. "Actually I believe I have made a decision. I want to go to The Art Institute of San Antonio for my BFA in design and also take online classes at West Alabama for a teaching degree too. That way I can work in design or teach design in school.

   Lauren smiles at me "I think that is a really great idea just don't overload yourself. I'm proud of you for wanting to double major and I know you can accomplish anything. I will be by your side to help anyway I can and support you." I smile because I'm glad that she believes in me and supports my decision.

   "Thank you Lauren and there's no one else I would want to take this journey with than you. Now that you know my plan, you can start looking at teaching or principal openings at some of the schools around. We live about 35 minutes from The Art Institute and I know there are a few different schools in the area so hopefully you will not have any problem getting a job."

   Lauren nods her head "I would hope I don't. I will start looking while we are on the plane since I will have time. I want to go ahead and send resumes out to get started now because if I wait too long, I might not get anything."

   We park my car at the airport so we have a way back home when we return and don't have to use Uber. Lauren also rented us a car to use while in Pensacola so we don't have to borrow my aunts. Of course Aunt Mary wanted us to stay with her for the week and wouldn't take no for an answer. I don't mind staying with her but that means I can't make love to Lauren for a week. A whole fucking week! That's going to drive me crazy because I want her all the time.

   When we finally arrive in Pensacola it's close to 4:30 p.m. We get our luggage and head across the pickup lane to Enterprise to get our rental car. Once we have the car we load our suitcases in the trunk and head to Aunt Mary's house to settle in and rest. I'm nervous and excited for tomorrow because I don't really know what to expect.

   Monday morning rolls around and Aunt Mary and I go to the bank. To say I am shocked is an understatement. The money mom got from the divorce and the child support money Mike sent her had all been put into the savings account plus any extra she had put in over the years since it was first opened.

   When I found out about the account I was shocked because my mom never mentioned it to me. She was not one to keep things from me at least I didn't think she was but obviously I was wrong. She kept my brother a secret and the savings account. I guess with the savings account, she knew I would tell her to use it to make it easier on her.

   There was also a safe deposit box that I was to gain access to once I turned 18 as well. There was a large envelope in the safe deposit box and I have no idea what's in it. I will open it later at Aunt Mary's when it's just me and Lauren together.

   I nearly fell out of the chair when I saw there was $125,000 in the account. I couldn't believe my mother had done that for me. There were no stipulations on the money so it was mine to do with what I pleased. Half of it is staying in a savings account for college because I know the scholarships will not pay for everything. Of course I'm not going to go crazy spending money because I have everything I need already but there is one thing I want to buy, even though technically it's not for me.

   This little spur of the moment trip is more of a blessing in disguise and I know in my heart it is the perfect time to do what I have been dreaming a lot about recently. Hell, I've been dreaming about this before I even graduated. I already have the perfect spot in mind to make all my dreams come true. With a little help from Aunt Mary and Katie I know this will be perfect, at least I hope it will be.

   First thing I am going to do though is make a phone call that I'm actually kind of nervous about, especially since the conversation is one I wanted to do in person. And this conversation should honestly be done in person but I just can't pass up this perfect moment I have while here in Pensacola. Hopefully once I explain that, everything will be fine.

   As Aunt Mary and I are on our way back to her house, we ride in silence for a few minutes until I finally speak. "I need you to help me with something, please. I need you to keep Lauren occupied tomorrow morning while Katie and I go somewhere."

   Aunt Mary glances at me with a confused look on her face. "Exactly where are you going that I need to keep Lauren occupied? I figured you were going to show her around and spend your time with her." She turns her attention back to the road not glancing at me again while waiting on my answer.

   I smile just thinking about Lauren. "I am going to show Lauren around and spend time with her. I just need Katie to go with me tomorrow to help me pick out a ring."

   Aunt Mary looks at me with raised eyebrows and asks "what kind of ring are you buying that you need...?" Her question stops as realization sets in on what I want to do. "Wait, what?" my aunt asks like she is still trying to understand.

   "I want Katie to go with me to pick out an engagement ring for Lauren." I state.

   Aunt Mary quickly pulls over on the side of the road and puts the car into park then looks at me. "You cannot be serious. You're going to propose to Lauren? Kyler, please tell me you are joking."

   I cut my aunt off right there before she says anything else. "I thought you supported our relationship, Aunt Mary? I love Lauren and I know without a doubt that I want to marry her. I know we haven't been together long and it doesn't matter if I'm 18 or 38, I know what I want and I want to marry Lauren and start our life together then eventually a family."

   Aunt Mary shakes her head "I support your relationship but I think you should wait. Who knows, you might meet someone in college and fall in love with them. You have to be smart here Kyler. I don't want to see you get hurt. Are you doing this to try and make Lauren stay with you?"

   I look at Aunt Mary and shake my head then look out the window. I can't believe she is acting like this and saying all that shit. She knows damn well that I love Lauren and if we didn't see a future together then we wouldn't have been through what we have just to be with each other. Does she really think I'm not good enough for Lauren?

   "I will be honest because I am nervous about getting married and I guess scared Lauren might say no but this is what I want and no, it's not because I'm trying to make Lauren stay with me. Do you think she doesn't love me? Do you think I'm not good enough for her?"

   Aunt Mary looks at me then out the window while shaking her head. Finally she says "you're only 18 Kyler. I'm just concerned and I wouldn't give permission for ...."

   "Good thing I'm not asking for your permission. I'm just asking if you can help keep Lauren occupied in the morning. If not I will get Katie to do it and go by myself to pick out a ring." I glance at Aunt Mary and she sighs then puts the car in drive and pulls back out onto the road to head back to her house.