28. Reaper

I suppose I should have expected the look of shock on her face at the sight of me. Shoulda listened to Tank and stopped somewhere to clean myself up a bit but I just wanted to see her.

Not gunna lie though, it felt good sitting here watching her as she fussed over me, tending to my injuries. I'd never had this before, and I liked it.

The ambush had gone mostly to plan, we just weren't expecting the second wave to be hiding out back of the meeting spot. We'd been jumped, I was too slow to see the man lunge toward me with a knife, gashing my arm open. A few others had been injured, but it hadn't taken long until every one of the Serpants in attendance were lying lifeless on the floor. But as I walked through the sea of bodies, one particular title on a cut drew my attention. 'Gauge' was embroidered on the left hand side, with the letters VP underneath.

Fuck!!!! I knew for a fact that Gauge was the son of the Serpants President, which means we'd basically just started an all out war. Calling Grunter to let him know, I'd mounted my bike and headed for the one place I wanted to be. With Alexis. Shit was about to get real and I just wanted to hold her. She was the calm in the surrounding chaos of my life. An anchor holding me down, reminding I had something to live for.

Lying on her bed together, I could almost see her brain working overtime as she tried to process what had just happened.

Did you kill anyone, she asked softly and I couldn't lie.

Yeh babe, had too. It was either them or me I replied and she just nodded.

After a minute or two of silence, she sat upright, staring at me with anger in her eyes.

You didn't fuck up your ink did you?

I laughed that her mind would even go there. Course not babe, wouldn't dream of it.

She relaxed again. Thank fuck or I'd have to fuck you up myself, she said with a grin, and the image it conjured in my head had me laughing out loud.

So anyway... I continued bringing up the topic I'd been avoiding since getting here.

Bit of an issue came up on the run, nothing for you to worry about babes, but if I know Grunter like I think I do, he'll be calling church first thing tomorrow and putting us into lock down until we can get the situation dealt with.

Lockdown? She questioned and I had to remind myself this world was all completely new to her.

Yeh, it's just a formality. If the clubs ever presented with any kind of threat or danger, we go into lockdown. Just means that all the boys with an old lady or kids will be on high alert, anyone that lives outside of the clubhouse is expected to come back for their own protection, and we ride in groups, safety in numbers and all that shit. No big deal, just makes it a fuckload harder to come and see you, I finished and her eyes fell, disappointment etched on her face.

Look at me, I commanded and she did hesitantly.

I don't like this anymore than you do, and your lucky I don't drag your ass back to clubhouse and keep you on lockdown with me. But as far as we know nobody knows about us, so your not a target and I want to keep it that way. I'll call you every day, and shit if it drags out ill bring a couple of the brothers with me and they can stand watch while we 'hang out'. I wiggled my eyebrows at her and she cracked a small smile. I never realized how much I loved seeing that smile until it was gone.

I stayed with her as long as i could justify, not ever wanting to leave. But I knew the club needed me and poor old Grunter would be beside himself by now. The old man's heart just wasn't cut out for the high adrenaline lifestyle anymore. Hence why I was up for President as soon as he said the word.

Kissing her one last time, and saying a final goodbye, I mounted my bike and hit the road towards the clubhouse. All I could do was pray all this bullshit was dealt with quick, I didn't know how long I could handle not being able to see her, hold her, kiss her. The woman was driving me crazy.