Chapter Thirty Eight: Hao Zhang Resolve

Early Update 💜 Enjoy Besties!

Story:

Jai Mei's concern for Hao Zhang grew each passing day as he remained absent, leaving early in the morning and returning only after nightfall.

She couldn't shake off the feeling that something was amiss, even though she tried to convince herself that he was simply preoccupied with winter preparations.

When he finally returned on the third day, his appearance startled her. Hao Zhang was covered in scratches and scars, but he carried a boar and a goat, a testament to his successful hunting trip.

Jai Mei rushed to his side "Hao Zhang! What happened? You're injured! Come, let me tend to your wounds."

"Before we address my injuries, there's something I want to say."

Jai Mei looked at him with a mixture of curiosity and apprehension. She could see the conflict in his eyes, torn between guilt and a desire to express himself.

Jai Mei says softly "Hao Zhang, I appreciate your willingness to apologize, but please understand that the blame is not solely yours to bear. I, too, have made severe mistakes. I have hurt you, neglected you, and abused your trust. How could you easily trust someone who has acted in such a way?"

Hao Zhang felt a surge of conflicting emotions as he looked at the anguish on Jai Mei's face. He attempted to speak, but she gently interrupted him.

"Let us attend to your wounds first. We can discuss this further afterwards."

Carefully, Jai Mei guided Hao Zhang to the back room, where she had all the necessary medicine supplies ready. She cleaned his wounds, applying herbal salves and bandages to promote healing.

Throughout the process, their interactions were filled with a mixture of tenderness and unspoken words. After tending to his wounds, Jai Mei stepped back, looking at him with gratitude and sincerity.

"There's something I want to give you." Hao Zhang hands her the basket off his back. When she looks inside she see's herbs and supplies. Jai Mei looked down at the herbs, flowers, nut, vials, and packaging for her materials he had brought. Her heart swelled with a mix of surprise and gratitude. These were the very ingredients and tools she used to make her soaps and oils.

Jai Mei with a hint of astonishment "Hao Zhang, how did you know? How did you remember everything?"

Hao Zhang attempting to hide his nervousness "I-I've had a lot to think about during these past few days. I realized that I didn't believe you, and instead accused you, causing your health to deteriorate and for you to collapse.

I apologize for my actions and lack of trust. I need time to process and understand your new changes, but I want you to know that I appreciate everything you've done so far."

Jai Mei felt a mix of emotions welling up inside her. She understood the significance of his words and the effort he had put into gathering the supplies. It was a step towards reconciliation and rebuilding the trust that had been shaken.

"Thank you, Hao Zhang, for your willingness to apologize. "

Hao Zhang hesitates "Jai Yuna... I'm truly am sorry for not believing you before. I should have listened to you instead of jumping to conclusions."

Jai Mei looks at Hao Zhang, her expression softening, understanding his struggle to apologize.

"There's truly no need to apologize, I can't say I don't understand your struggles I harmed you in the worst way but yet here you are not even a year into my change trying to accept, understand, and forgive me, it is truly commendable."