Chapter Forty Four: The Bearings of Four Souls I

She looked up and motioned towards her husbands. "Now, it's your turn."

Astounded, they followed suit, pouring out their wine, tears glistening, breaths heavy, some staring into space.

Together, they echoed, "The old Jai Yuna is dead, and the new is here to stay," in a weak monotone, as if apprehensive that this might be some sort of prank.

Observing their initial hesitance, she reassured, "Fear not, let it all out." The sincerity in her eyes served as a comforting balm, allowing them to release pent-up emotions.

She encouraged them to feel whatever they felt about laying the past to rest-be it bitterness, anger, sadness, or tears.
It was a moment of clarity, a celebration of the death of their old wife, with the promise that the new Jai Yuna stood before them.

In those vulnerable moments of catharsis, she stood firm, creating a safe space for them to express their feelings without judgment, hurt, or rage.

Shu Wang's soft cry resonated, "I yearned for this marriage with such fervor. I was destitute before I arrived, and despite the challenges and the murmurs of sympathy and sorrow, I desired a family with you at any cost.

I am subservient by nature, wishing to fathom your needs, to be the support you sought.

But no matter how much I humbled myself, acting as your footstool, I couldn't bring you joy. Why?!

Perhaps I don't comprehend you fully, perhaps I'm falling short. I'm not being the partner you deserve. I yearned for this, for us. I desire the ability to love and to be loved, and I am prepared to battle for it, against any judgments.

I attained what I prayed for - a marriage, when I was told no one would ever want me, and despite its unusual circumstances. I take my concerns to God once more, praying for guidance and understanding.

I toiled, prayed, and pleaded, 'Make me the man my wife needs.' Then the abuse came, and I welcomed it as nourishment, thinking perhaps I needed correction.

Yet, still, it wasn't sufficient. It was only when I witnessed true madness in your eyes, and my family materialized in the form of the others, that I realized it was you, not me."

He chuckled sadly, "And foolishly, I was prepared to remain your footstool till the end. Now, I lie the old me in that lake with you, and reborn, you and I...Thank God." As tears streamed down his face.

Liu Feng poured out his heart, "Our marriage is akin to a prison cell, confining me year after year. No sunlight, no rain, no light, no air.

I had hoped that, by the wisdom of the Jai family, you would elevate me. Instead, I was deemed unworthy, forbidden to aspire to anything in this life. How can I become something worthwhile when entangled with rotten fruits?

Can't I be painted differently, pass as something good? I don't want to be labeled unfruitful throughout my life. But what choice do I have?

Just as I strive to meet the expectations of my painted self, you splatter, splash, and drench me, exposing my bruises to the world and highlighting my inadequacies seen in every pair of eyes.

Perhaps, if you were gone, I could be free, but by the law, you are my wife.

I've learned not everything lawful is advantageous. If you vanished, the law would scorch me like the sun in the rice fields, burning me as I toil in this marriage field until you release me, and you never will.

Then you changed, putting everything before me, I longed for in the distant lake and it drifted my way. I must be on the verge of death for the lake to grant me my heart's desire.

I say goodbye to you, but I'm afraid that accepting this rebirth of you is merely stepping into a cleaner jail," he confessed, the rare tears he had restrained flooding and breaking the dam that held his emotions back.