30 ― the worst betrayal of all.

❝ we could have been something

we could have been something.

DECHA'S FIST WAS SHAKING MIDAIR.

Slowly, he knocked on the door to the Alexopoulos house. He lowered his fist, shoving his hands in his pants pockets. He rocked back and forth on his heels as he waited for the door to open. He stared down at the ground, puffing out his cheeks as he blew out a breath.

The swung open abruptly, revealing a confused man on the other side. Decha could only assume that it was Demetri's father.

The man's eyebrows furrowed together. "Can I help you?"

Decha blinked at him a few times. "Hello, sir. I'm Decha, it's a pleasure to meet you. I'm here to pick up Demetri."

"Oh, so you're the famous Decha?"

Decha grinned. "The famous Decha?"

Th man nodded. "Demetri talks about you all the time."

"Dad..." Demetri appeared next to him, giving him a look of embarrassment before pushing Decha back. "Let's go."

Decha turned around. Demetri placed his hands on
his back, continuing to push him down the sidewalk .

"It was nice to meet you!" Decha called out as Demetri pushed him down the driveway.

They got in the car. Decha put the key in the ignition, smirking at Demetri as he started the car.

"What?" Demetri asked. "Why are you looking at me like that?"

"You talk to your parents about me?" Decha asked. "The famous Decha?"

Demetri shook his head. "He was exaggerating. I mean, yeah, I've mentioned you. But I don't like, talk about you constantly. Only a handful of times. Out of complaint mostly."

Decha raised an eyebrow. "Mostly?"

Demetri turned to look out the window, scratching at the nape of his neck. Decha chuckled as he pulled out of the driveway.

"Where are we going?" Demetri asked.

"It's a surprise," Decha told him.

Demetri crossed his arms. "I hate surprises. You know, the last time someone surprised me was when my parents took me to the petting zoo when I was eleven. An alpaca spit on me."

Decha laughed, causing Demetri to give him the evil eye. "Sorry. I promise, there will be no alpacas."

Demetri blew air out of nostrils. "Can I at least get a hint?"