Chapter 1

29 BBY - 6 years old

The nights are usually chilly, not exactly cold, comfortable. Not this night. Waves of heat rolls through the city, sneaking into the houses through the cracks. Even in sleep I can feel it. I can hear it. The loud noises followed by the heat. 

"Lora! Lora, wake up!" I wake up by my mother shaking my shoulders.

I rub my eyes. "Ma?"

"Lora, we have to go, now!" Her face is twisted in panic.

She takes a hold of my right arm and pulls me out of bed, as I'm still wearing my pajamas and my hair is messy from my sleep. My small legs give out and I fall to my knees as a loud bang roams the night followed by the sound of hundreds screaming. Men, women and children's voices all blend into one scream of horror. Suddenly she pushes me against the wall and looks me in my eyes.

"Close your eyes, darling, now!" I shake my head and try to hug her, but she pushes me back against the wall and grabs my face with her shaking hands.

"Lo, please, just close your eyes." She has tears in her eyes, and I finally do. I feel her pick me up and carry me around. When I feel some warm air hitting me, I know we are outside. But why are we outside? Shouldn't I sleep? I'm confused, and even though my mother told me not to open my eyes. I do. Carefully lifting my head from my mothers shoulder, I open my eyes to see chaos. Fire, everywhere. Nothing but fire. My eyes catches on a figure lying close to the entrance of our home. My father.

"Pa, no, Pa!" I scream, not caring that my mother now knows that I have disobeyed her.

"No, Lora, no, no, keep quiet," she hisses at me. I don't listen and keep on screaming for my father.

She grabs the back of my head trying to force it into her shoulder to dim my voice, but as I stop screaming as my voice gives out, I see a figure step out from a tent and aims something at us. I want to cover my ears as a loud bang comes from the figure. My mother yelps in pain. Her steps slow down but she continues. Another bang and she's forced to her knees. I feel her body shake as she fights to get onto her feet. She tries to run, but a third bang makes my ears ring. As my mother falls, she throws me from her and I roll onto the dirty and dry ground.

My head is hurting and as I touch it, some blood tickles down my face. I turn to look at my mother, but find her with closed eyes.

I crawl to her side and shake her. But she doesn't wake up. Why won't she wake up? "No, Ma!" My small body shaking unable to understand what just happened.

"Now, now, what do we have here?" a pirate chuckles while coming near me. "Such a sweet little thing, right honey?" I crawl backwards, scared of what will happen if he catches me. My father has told me stories of pirates that would take small children, and sell them for spice.

He looks down on my mother before making another shot right through her head. I scream terrified as he steps over her body and continues for me. The blood from my mother is seeping on the ground, making a pool around her head

"Get away from the girl!" Another male voice comes from behind me, but I am too scared to look back.

"And who do we have here?" The pirate just looks amused.

"I said, get away from the girl!" The man says again with a stern voice.

The pirate doesn't listen and takes another step closer to me with a grin. But as he does, a swoosh is heard behind me. I'm too scared to turn around, but I can feel heat hitting my back, and a purple light covers the dusty ground. The pirate backs away with a nervous look on his face.

"Fine, fine, you can have her, Jedi scum," He spits at the ground before running off.

There is a silence, before the man walks in front me and crutches beside me.

"Are you okay, child?" I don't answer, still shaking from everything that happened as I stare at my mother.

He gently takes a hold of my chin and turns my head away from her. "Are you cold?" I shake my head. "I'm Mace, Mace Windu, I'm a Jedi Master, what's your name?"

"Lora," I whisper.

"I'm sorry, I didn't quite catch that?"

"I'm Lora," I say again, a little louder.

"Well, hello Lora, I'm glad to meet you." He gives me a small smile. "I have a ship nearby, would you mind coming with me? We can get that cut cleaned up." He looks at my forehead, reminding me of the pain.

I just nod. He stands up and dusts himself off, before stretching his hand out to help me up. Still shaking, I take it. Hand in hand, we start to walk towards his ship. We pass several bodies on the way. I look at every single one.

"Look at the sky, Lora," Mace says. "It's more comforting than what's on the ground." I do as he says as look up. I remember how my father used to say the same when we were looking at the stars.

I can't help but I look back and see my mother still lying there on the cold ground. I stop walking, and just as I am about to run back, Mace grabs my waist and lifts me off the ground. Even though I scream and kick him, he just keeps going. At some point I must have drifted off because of exhaustion from what happened.

I wake up as I am being placed in a chair. I feel Mace leaving the room, and only then I open my eyes. I am in a cockpit. I know that since my father is a flight mechanic, so I've gone with him to work a few times. 

The sun has begun to rise, it's casting a deep orange over the sky. I get a feeling that Mace is coming back into the room again, so I close my eyes again. And just as I predicted, I hear the doors open just a second later. I can hear him sit down beside me and start to clean the cut.

"You know, I can feel that you are awake" He doesn't sound mad, not even because I kicked at him. "You don't have to hide, you are safe now". I still don't open my eyes. I hear him sigh before he stands up and switches seats and pressed some controls. And not before long, I feel the ship take off beneath me. Only then I open my eyes, I look out the glass. I have a feeling that I might never return to my planet. So I keep my eyes frozen, looking out the glass until we enter hyperspace. I have never been outside the atmosphere before, so seeing the blue and black stripes pass by feels insane.

"We still have a long trip back to Coruscant, you might want to rest a bit" Mace says, still looking forward.

I decide to take his advice and close my eyes. Trying to get all the awful sights from the morning out of my mind. With the help of the ship's rocking, it doesn't take long before my mind closes off, and I fall into a peaceful sleep. 

Authors note

I decided to age her up from being five to six as I felt it made more sense. Sorry for any confusion it might have caused.

Don't forget to vote🩷