Chapter 39

For once I don't feel happy when I see Naboo as I exit hyperspace. All I'm feeling is a need for revenge and a thirst giving my master the justice that he deserves.  I don't give the waterfalls a second of thought as I pass them before flying over the city and a littler further into the nearby forest. I find a flat space suitable for landing near the city and land my ship. The sun is still high, but the festival of light will first begin at sundown, until then, Hardeen will probably be hiding somewhere. My best chance is to keep hidden until then as well, to not compromise the fact that I'm here. If he gets an idea that I'm after him, he might run. As the sun begins to set, I find a place on a rooftop overlooking the festival, from there I also have an eye on the Chancellor. There's a rayshield protecting the main platform where he's standing, together with some grandstands around him. I scan the surroundings for anything, but I don't see anything out of the ordinary. I  then notice a familiar figure standing by the edge. Anakin. Of course he's here. But that could make my job even harder. Ahsoka and Windu are there as well. I narrow my eyes at Windu and see he is talking with someone on the comlink, getting information. They know something. 

"But as we chart towards the future." I zone back into reality as the chancellor turns around and gestures towards the sky. "Let us never forget our past." A light flies towards the sky and explodes into shapes and colors. The crowd cheers and applause. Even I can't help but stare at it with wide eyes. Suddenly Anakin bolts from one side of the platform to the other, I follow him with my gaze and see someone trying to sabotage the shield generator. Come on. I cover my eyes as the thing explodes. Out of just pure habit even though I'm too far away for it to even possibly hit me. The crowd stands and looks around confused. The Chancellor is laying on the floor unmoving. Is he dead?  Windu rushes to his side and gestures for two guards. Probably needing them to take him to safety.

What happens next, I'm not sure. It's all blurred by chaos. But I hear a voice from the pavement beside my building.

"I'm going after the Chancellor." A voice says. My blood runs cold as I recognize the voice as my master's killer, the man I'm here to kill. Rako Hardeen. I jump from the building, but I don't reach him before he is already on a speeder. Damn it, I need a speeder and follow him. I look around trying to find anything, and I spot a speeder a few blocks away. I run to it and instantly speed after him. The wind is whipping my braid around and my ears are ringing by the speed. The forrest passes quickly by me. By the time I reach him, he's standing and pointing a gun at Cad Bane. He looks up at the sound of engines and a flash of confusion shows on his face. My face is twisted in anger as I ignite my lightsaber, illuminating the dark forest with green light.

"You killed my master, and you will pay," I grit my teeth before lunging at him. He jumps back and manages to avoid getting hit by me. I hear engines approaching, but I don't care. "You caused so much suffering... and now I will make you suffer." I don't care how it sounds. I know that I'm not following The Code. Revenge is not the Jedi way, but it's my way. And maybe that is the right one.

"Lora, no!" I hear Anakin yell behind me.

"Anakin, leave, I have to do this," I yell back. Hardeen is backing away as I'm continuing to attack him. My moves are sloppy and inconsistent, but they are dangerous and unpredictable.

"It's not Hardeen, Lora.."

"Anakin, stop," Hardeen says, making my movements falter. Why is he saying that? But I keep going and push him down onto his knees. I won't let him get into my head. I have my lightsaber at his throat. "In the letter you confessed to thinking of Obi-Wan like your father." What? What is happening? How does he know that?

"What kind of sick joke is this? How do you know this?" I shout in his face. I see his eyes being filled with pain. But why?  He's the one that killed him. The one that caused all that pain. He doesn't deserve to show pain. "You killed my master. The one person I loved most." The agony I feel is portrayed perfectly in my voice.