Chapter 28

Somehow we end up in the vents. We creep around trying to find a way out. It's so narrow and the ceiling is so low, the only person that doesn't have to bend their knees or crawl is Master Piell.

"I don't have the knees for this," I mutter as I feel my knees hating being bent like this for a long time. I hear Cody snicker and I give him a soft punch. We reach a gathering point for all the vents, and we gather around the hole to better be able to hear each other.

"This passage will get us near the landing pad," my master says before climbing up. I let the clones go first, and notice Master Piells hesitance. It's probably nothing. I stretch my fingers quickly before climbing up after the last clone, followed by Master Piell.

"R2, send the shuttle to the rear landing platform," I hear Obi-Wan say as I climb. As I reach him, he seems a bit amused. "The trick will be if Anakin arrives on time."

I send him a confused look, but before he can answer me, someone yells that there's a probe. Before I can react, Master Piell has already sprung into action, literally, and is almost flying up into the air. Pieces of the probe fall down beside me further down.

"Did you get it?" Obi-Wan asks him. The sound of metal doors closing catches my attention and I rush to look up. The hatches that are made to keep fire from spreading in the vents, are closing. If we get caught in one of those, we're going to be cut in half. I look around and see that there isn't enough place for all of us where we are. That means that I'm now one door higher than Master Piell and our men, and one door below my master. Alone. I try to ignore the fact that I know one of our men has just been cut in half. The doors silence a lot... but not everything. I cut the door open to my master around the same time Master Piell cuts a hole to me.

"We lost one," he says, confirming what I already know. He then looks up. "Looks like we've got some cutting to do."

By the time we're done cutting and have our shuttle in sight, there's no sign of R2.

"Something might have happened. We'll have to make our way around to the other side and get a different view. This could be a trap," my master says, making me face reality again.

"There's no boring moment," I say while shaking my head.

"Well, it was you that insisted on coming along," my master points out.

"Yeah, I didn't want you to die," I argue back.

"The only person that has been close to dying is you. Twice!" He says making me shut up.

Master Piell pushes out a vent hatch and my master secures a grappling hook before jumping out of the hole, right down to the lava. After he lands on the platform, he gives a go signal. I'm the first to follow him down, the rest right behind me. As we walk on the edge of the building, I can't help but notice some of Master Piell's men are looking like they really would rather be in their cell than on the edge of plunging down into the lava beneath us.

"Anakin," Obi-Wan tries to contact him.

"I must commend you on your escape tactics, but in the end it was easy to predict your every move." I scrunch my eyebrows. Who's that? Not Anakin, that's for sure.

Droids come from all around us, surrounding us. I grab my lightsaber, but my master just puts his hand on mine and shakes his head. It's not worth the fight. Instead we give up and are taken back into the building escorted by BX-droids.

"Welcome back," says a Phindian. He turns around and walks towards us.

"I must say, you're not at all what I pictured for someone with such a soft voice," my master says, making me fight to keep a smile down.