Chapter 45

(Obi-Wan's POV)(Time: About 2 weeks after Lora left)

I can't stop blaming myself for her leaving. I don't know how to function and go back to my life without having a Padawan. Especially knowing that she is out in the galaxy, only the force knows where, all alone. Anakin and Ahsoka have tried being there for me, but even though I'm not proud of it, I'm pushing them away. I also know that they in a way still hate me for faking my own death, it hurt them too. And that they, even though they will never admit it, also blame me a little bit for Lora leaving. And they are right. Had it not been for me and my stupid decisions, my blind loyalty to the Council and the belief that the others would feel the same way. She would still be here. But she's not. And it's all my fault.

"Obi-Wan," Windu comes up and interrupts my conversation with Anakin and Ahsoka. He looks worried and sounds like he's being careful, like something could set me off.

"Yes," I acknowledge him.

He hesitates for a second. "We've got a transmission. You want to see this, but you should know, this won't be... pleasant of any kind."

His words make me worried and I can't stop my mind from racing about what it could be. "Okay, let's go and see it."

"You should want to see it too, Anakin," he tells the man at my side. He never calls Anakin by his first name, always last. What's going on?

"Oh, okay," Anakin sounds just as confused. But we follow Windu to the strategy room where a message is ready to be played back.

I look at Windu. "You have already seen it?" He nods as presses the play button. The moment the transmission starts, my heart drops. It's clear Lora's in it. On her knees beside a man dressed in a black cloak that's covering the top half of his face. Making us unable to identify him. But my attention is glued to Lora's figure. She's still wearing the same robes she left the temple in, but now they are more dirty and covered in burn marks. "What is this?" I ask horrified.

"Just keep watching," Windu says, looking like he wants to cover his eyes.

The man in the video speaks. "If you don't give up information about the new routes into Separatist space by the end of the week, the girl by my side will no longer be breathing." I think that the transmission will end after that, but to my horror, it doesn't. Instead he turns his hands towards her body and shots lightning through his fingertips. It runs through her body as her eyes roll back and she passes out. At least she won't feel the pain. I want to look away as he continues to torture her passed out body, but my eyes can't move. Even after the message is done, I can't move from my spot.

"I'm so sorry," Anakin whispers as he places a hand on my shoulder.

I shake it off and turn to Windu. "Call the council to an emergency meeting. Now!"

"They are already there, we saw the transmission together," he says. I don't wait for the others, but rush out of the room. Ignoring a questioning Ahsoka that's waiting outside. She doesn't even know. But I don't have time to explain it to her, but I feel some relief as I hear Anakin softly telling her what we just witnessed. But his words quickly disappear through the halls as I move closer and closer to the council room, with Windu right in my heels. I barge into the room, barely waiting for the doors to open. I don't take a seat, making my chair the only unoccupied council seat.

"Who do we have looking for her?" I ask them. An uncomfortable silence passes through the council.

"We don't have anyone," Windu barely looks me in the eyes.

I don't believe it. "Why?"

"She's not in the order anymore," Plo-Koon explains. I'm about to lose my mind.