Chapter 38

Author's note:

I'm sorry.

✥✥✥✥✥✥

"So, what's the big rush?" Anakin asks as we're walking through the industrial part of Coruscant. Apparently it was some sort of shortcut. Obi-Wan and his shortcuts.

"The Jedi Council has called an emergency meeting," Obi-Wan explains. Not again!

"And that's important enough to drag me from my food?" I whine and kick a little rock on the ground. We were in the middle of dinner at Dex when Obi-Wan said we had to leave fast.

Anakin sighs beside me. "I can see it now. Another long, boring debate."

"Would you rather they call you in to train younglings?" Ahsoka asks.

"Are you crazy?" Anakin chuckles and gives her a slight push. We all know that Anakin and younglings don't go well together.

"I mean, maybe it could-" I get cut off by shots being fired at us. We all jump away and take cover behind some crates.

"Any idea where that shot came from?" Obi-Wan asks.

"From the roof, I think a sniper," I try to locate the sniper and see him on the top of a nearby roof. But I have to move back as a shot almost hit me in my face.

"All right, here's the plan," my master says, "Anakin, you flank him on the right. Ahsoka, you cover the lower streets. I'm going after him. Lora..." he takes a sharp breath at my name. "You stay here."

"What!?" I exclaim.

"You need to make sure he doesn't escape," he tries to come up with something. I don't have time to argue before the three of them run off. I stand up and wave my arms around frustrated when I see the sniper is running the other way.

"I lost him," Anakin says through the comlink. Damn it. I curse myself as I begin to disobey the order and begin to run the same way I saw the sniper went.

"Ah!" A scream makes my blood run cold. My master. I run through the roads, but there's so many people. My heart is pounding. Please let him be all right. I spot a half circle and push through it.

"Lora..." I hear Anakin say softly as I lay eyes on the body of my master. He's laying in Ahsoka's arms, whose eyes are filled with tears. I make a move towards Obi-Wan but Anakin grips my arm and shakes his head. I try to pull my arm to myself, but he just tightens his grip.

"Let me go," I grit my teeth together. He doesn't say anything but shakes his head. I pull even harder. I end up having to knee him to get him to let me go. The second I'm free, I drop down beside my master. He has closed eyes and looks almost peaceful. The area around his heart is burned. The shot hit him right in the heart. I grab him from Ahsoka trying to do anything to get him back. I feel through the force for his signature, but it's nowhere to be felt. I beg him to come back, both vocally and through the force. I beg him to answer, but I don't get any.

"No..." I deny it even with the proof right in front of me. "No." My eyes tear up. "Master, please." I beg him again and again as tears drip down my face and hit his dead body. This can't be real. It doesn't feel real.

✥✥✥✥✥✥

I've heard stories of padawans losing their masters. I've seen them. Walking through the temple with red eyes. Their walk is different than usual, more silent, more tired. I haven't slept. Not for one second. I don't remember how we got back to the temple after the accident. Somehow I just ended up on the stairs. Anakin was out of it, Ahsoka was trying to help him, I was left alone on the stairs.