Chapter 30

Over the past week I've been on Iloh, I think me and Jaxler have had about a total of two conversations. Most of the time has been going with shadowing him at meetings and his daily day. The only person I'm really talking to here is Kamari. She's become a good friend, and took me swimming as she promised. Turns out the water is just the right temperature, all day and night. I was struggling a bit in the start since I only learned to swim back on Kamino, and that was only for survival. But she taught me how to really swim. I've noticed how the senator uses his nights training, and his days doing politics. I keep telling Obi-Wan that Jaxler doesn't like me being here, but he keeps on insisting that he will come along. I haven't been having any nightmares since I left the temple.

"You're stalking me now?" I look up from my tablet to see Jaxler standing in his training gear.

"Huh?" I'm confused. I'm sitting under a tree studying. I don't see how that's stalking.

"It's my tree. I always sit there," he tells me. The sun has already set, but I needed some fresh air, and needed to catch up on some homework. Even on a mission, you can't miss it. So I walked outside and I found this tree. I don't feel like arguing and just stand up and walk off.

"Why do you dislike me so much?" I stop to ask.

"What?" He looks shocked.

"Ever since I came here. Even with the obvious threat to your life, you keep insisting that you don't need me. Instead you spend your nights training to protect yourself. Which means that you yourself believe that there's something to protect from," I step closer to him.

"You're just a padawan, you can't protect me well enough," he scoffs.

"So it's because I'm a padawan?" I notice how something in his eyes changes and I narrow my eyes. "Or is it because I'm a Jedi?"

He licks his lips and looks to the dark starry sky. "As a child I was always told stories of how wonderful the Jedi were by my father. He fought alongside some at some point. He told me how if I ever met one, that I could put my entire trust in the person. They would save me."

"What changed?"

"My father died while on a diplomatic mission. He sent out a distress call to the Jedi council for help. They never showed up."

"I'm sorry to hear," I truly mean it.

"I've learned to fight and protect myself. So I don't need to be saved by the Jedi that didn't care enough to save my father," he steps closer to me and yells. "So I don't need you."

In the dark forest at night you can barely see anything. But metal reflects in the moonlight. In a split second I push the senator to the ground.

"Hey!" He yells in protest.

"Get inside now! You're under attack!" I yell at him as I ignite my lightsaber. I try to look for the reflection, but if they're smart enough, they have already hid themselves. I look back and see him still standing there. "I said get in!"

"No! You're crazy. There's no one here," he looks at me like I'm crazy. I hear a shot being fired. Seeing the flash pointing at his face, I raise my hand and focus all I have on stopping the shot. I'm actually surprised that it works. I didn't know I could do that.

"Do you believe me now?" I hiss as I take his arm and run until we get to the path that leads out of the forest and into the streetlights. There isn't far til the main building, but I can sense the attacker being somewhat close. I push him into the building to force him up the stairs.

"Pack a bag, quick! We're leaving," I instruct him.

"No, what? I'm not leaving," he argues.

I try to make him listen to me. But I can see his eyes don't truly understand the danger he's in. We both direct our focus downstairs as the sound of blasters being fired takes up the silent night. "Take what you need and come into my room after."