Chapter 42

"This is not Alderaan," I whisper to myself as I enter the planet's surface. I check over my instruments and see that I have put in the wrong coordinates and landed on Batuu. I must have been so out of it that I didn't even notice. As I move to take the ship off autopilot and leave the planet again, one of my systems beeps and shows that the ship is in desperate need of fuel. "Shit." I mutter as I'm forced to land. Even as I haven't been on Batuu before, I recognise the port I'm landing in. The Black Spire Outpost. Home for smugglers and other lowlives. As I exit my ship, I notice a group of men sitting in the corner laughing while pointing at me.

"How do you get some fuel around here?" I yell to them.

"You pay," one of them shouts back before returning their bottle of liquor to their lips.

"And if I have no money," I cross my arms.

"Then you get a job until you can pay."

"You got one of them laying around?" I narrow my eyes, trying to make myself look more mature.

He looks at his companions before sitting up more straight. "Actually I do."

"Leave that poor girl alone," a Twi-Lek woman comes out of nowhere and smacks the man on his head with her towel.

"Hey," he protests. "I was going to offer her to fix some ships."

The woman looks me up and down before gesturing for me to follow her, which I do reluctantly. She opens a door and walks through, holding the door open for me. "Excuse my husband and his 'buddies', they can be a little... frightening. They mean no harm."

"I've faced worse," I giggle nervously.

The woman turns to me with furrowed brows and looks me up and down. "You can't be more than what, 14?"

"I just turned 15 actually," I tell her. I shouldn't have told her. I mentally curse myself for that. She pulls out two chairs around a small table, takes a seat on one of them, before patting the other one.

"Don't you have some family somewhere?" Her voice is comforting and soft. It reminds me of my mother's voice.

I shake my head. "No, I don't."

"It's dangerous to be out here by yourself. Especially when you're that young." She shakes her head.

"I don't have much choice."

She sighs and shakes her head. "You can stay here, help me and my husband out and get a roof over your head and food in return. We have been struggling since our son..." Her voice trails off. I want to say no, say that I have to go somewhere else. I know that it would be stupid to stay here with people I don't know, but something in me tells me that I can trust them.

"Alright, but only for some time. I can't stay here forever," I give her a small smile.

"On the run from someone?" The same man from earlier walks in the door.

"Hopefully not," I shake my head.

The couple shares a look. "Hopefully?"

"Long story," I brush it off. "I'm Nami." I introduce myself under a fake name. Thinking that will be safer.

"Cana," the woman, Cana, points to herself before pointing to her husband. "My husband's name is Koen."

"Nice to meet you both," I smile at them.

"You too, kid," Koen says, giving his wife a kiss on the cheek. "Do you know how to fix ships?"

I shrug. "A little bit, not much."