IKA-LIMAMPU'T APAT NA KABANATA

"Avoid causing the expectant mother excessive tears. That has a ripple effect on the developing fetus. If you constantly stress out the mother, the baby will be unhealthy when it comes out."

Lorenzo puffed his cigarette then frowned. "Where did you learn that? Is Rose pregnant?"

"Gágo!" Mabilis na mura ni Austin at saka humalakhak. "Dámn, dude. I can't imagine. I mean, I love Rose, but I'm not sure I'm ready to love someone born of my own flesh and blood. I'm just not ready to be a father yet, which is why I'm so proud of you," he jested.

"That someone is your kid, dumbáss."

"I know, but I told you I'm not ready yet. Gágo, teka nga, bakit ba nasa akin na ang usapan? Thought you called because we're going to talk about you and Cass?"

"I was just wondering how come you have knowledge of that,"

"I was reading an article online, dumbáss. I'm doing some research as I want to be of great support to my very responsible and soon-to-be-father friend," Austin chuckled. "By the way, I thought you went out to see Hazel?"

Muling napabuga ng usok si Lorenzo. "I did,"

"And?"

"Look, Austin, I didn't call because of Cassandra's pregnancy. I called because I needed some outlook, I guess. Though it's so stupid to ask you for one—"

"Hey, that's so mean!" Austin protested on the other line. "Don't underestimate me! I know lots of things about life!"

"Probably, but I doubt you know much about relationships—"

Austin snorted. "Look who's talking? At least, Rose and I are exclusive. I have a girlfriend, in case you forgot."

Lorenzo fell silent. Austin definitely has a point. Instead of responding with a rebuttal, he teased. "You know what? 'Til now, I find it difficult to believe you're officially dating someone. Sometimes I wonder if you truly perceive that as true love,"

"Tángina mo. Si Rose nga 'di pinagdududahan pagmamahal ko sa kaniya tapos ikaw pinagdududahan mo? Grabeng trust issue 'yan, dinaig pa girlfriend ko." Tawa nang tawa si Austin sa kabilang linya. "You know what? Enough about me. Let's just talk about you. What exactly do you want to talk about?"

Saglit na itinapon ni Lorenzo sa lupa ang sigarilyo at inapakan ito. Naglandas ang libreng kamay niya sa buhok. "I'm confused. I actually don't know what I want to talk about,"

"Siraulo," komento ni Austin. "Bakit 'di ka na lang kasi magpahinga muna para kumalma utak mo? Isa pa, gaano ka ba katagal diyan? Baka makalimutan mong may responsibilidad ka rito,"