Chapter 52

____

"Shuntal and I are just connected because of our daughter now, but why do I feel like I'm cheating on my wife."

"Umm well, can I speak informally Sir?" Maingat namang saad ni Lt. Carber.

"Go on,"

"Well you're lying to her so, that's also a form of cheating, Sir."

"So you're saying that I am actually cheating?"

"I dare not Sir, but that seems to be the case."

Napatango-tango na lamang siya matapos ngumisi, "So I am even a cheater now, I can't believe this!" Mahina niya pang hindi makapaniwalang usal bago nagtiim-bagang.

Tumingin siya sa kawalan at saglit na nag-isip bago muling bumaling kay Lt. Carber.

"This is getting out of hand." Kapagkuwa'y seryoso niyang saad.

"Sir?"

"You tell Senior Detective Paredes that I wanted to talk to her in person. Sabihin mong ihanda niya ang lahat ng impormasyong kailangan ko."

"Ah yes Sir. I'll inform her right away once she comes back."

"Comeback?"

"Ah yes General. She informed me last week that she won't be around this week since she's going on a vacation with Chairman Garriego."

"Hmm? You mean, Dr. Red Garriego, the heir  of Garriego Medical Group?"

"That's correct, General. Do you know him personally by any chance?"

"We're not really any better than strangers but I was operated by him once before. He was just a young surgeon back then. I was his first patient with gunshot wound. So, he's the Chairman now. Time flew fast." May munting ngiti sa kanyang labing kwento.

Ngumiti naman n'un si Lt.Carber.

"K-kailan yun General?" Curious pa nitong turan.

"About 5 or 6 years ago, I guessed." Ngisi naman niyang saad at naupo na sa kanyang upuan. Noon naman na dumating si Khallib because it's time for him to study.

____

"I'm not going to study with you anymore." Sa wakas ay naisambit ni Khallib matapos ang isang oras nitong pananahimik during and after the General's discussion.

Ngayong tapos ng magdiscuss ang heneral at oras na sana para pag-usapan ang ilang batas na dapat  matutunan ni Khallib ay nagsalita na ito.

Natigilan lamang ang Heneral sa tinuran ni Khallib na iyun. Walang emosyon ang mukhang tinignan niya ito sa mga mata bago sumandal sa kanyang upuan.

"We're not just playing here Khallib. If you want to govern this country in the future, you have to educate yourself." He asserted straightforwardly kaya ngumisi ito at umiwas ng tingin bago siya muling tinignan.

"Educate myself with what? With the things you're teaching me? Can I even trust you? You've been my idol and greatest role model, but now? I don't know." Pasaring nitong saad bago siya tinignan ng mariin.

"What! Bakit hindi ka nagsasalita? Cuz it's true? You've been lying to me, to my family, right? Why? Huh, bakit pa nga ba ako nagtatanong, my eyes are wide open now. I can see through your real intentions. What a pity, we've trusted you so much!" Matatas pa rin ang dilang bulalas nito ngunit tahimik parin siya, kaya naman nagsalita itong muli.

"General, you are maybe ahead of me in many ways but I have brain too. If you think you know me well enough to use me and defeat me after using me, nagkakamali ka. I can give you a play too. I'll do whatever I can to protect my family from you and Tita Hillary."