73. amortentia

Fred,
I didn't even make it into the school before being accused of attacking Harry. By Tonks of all people, which kind of sucks, I wanted her to join our family.
The new potions teacher invited me to be apart of his little club, he only asked questions about Esme though, he seems to know more about her than I do.
The sorting hat sung a song about being brave and strong in these 'trying times', easy for it to say, it's a hat.
D̶r̶a̶c̶o̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶c̶r̶a̶z̶y̶ ̶a̶b̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶Y̶o̶u̶-̶K̶n̶o̶w̶-̶W̶h̶o̶,̶ ̶t̶a̶l̶k̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶b̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶d̶u̶t̶i̶e̶s̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶w̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶w̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶h̶a̶p̶p̶e̶n̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶
Matilda hasn't come back, her parents said it's too dangerous for her.
I think I'm going to be very lonely this year without you.
Love, Juniper

Juniper managed to slip into her first lesson of the year, Defense Against the Dark Arts with Snape, just in time, having skillfully avoided Draco's questions about why she had arrived late to the welcoming feast. As she slid into the only spare seat left, beside Draco, the memory of the feast lingered in her mind. The Grand Hall, filled with floating candles and the hum of excited first-day-back chatter, and Harry's friends ambushing him with questions about the blood on his shirt, and the eyes lingering on Juniper as she walked in behind him. Draco hadn't forgotten the feast either, and his intense, unblinking gaze followed her every move for the past few days as if trying to extract the reason telepathically. The tension hanging between the two was thick, she could feel his eyes boring into her, a mix of curiosity and suspicion, as Snape began the lesson.
He drawled on about how this year 'would be different' and that 'dark magic is always evolving', as he gestured to gruesome pictures hanging on the walls. One depicted the Cruciatus curse, one was a Dementors kiss, and the last was a mass of Inferi.

"Who can tell me what the advantages of non-verbal spells are?" Snape scanned the room, trying to ignore Hermione's hand that shot up in the air. With a disappointed sigh, he called on her.

"Your opponent has no idea what spell you're about to perform, giving you a split-second advantage." Hermione answered, looking proud.

"An answer copied straight from the textbook." Snape said disappointedly, making Draco snicker beside Juniper. "But, correct in terms of the essentials. The element of surprise is an advantage in the midst of a duel or battle. Not all wizards are able to do this. You will now divide into pairs, one partner will attempt to jinx the other without speaking, and the other will shield the jinx, in equal silence."

The sound of chairs scraping the stone ground filled the room as everyone stood, finding their partners. Draco looked to Juniper expectantly, waiting for her to stand up with him.

"Do you want to jinx or shield first?" He asked.

"What makes you think I'm going to be your partner?" Juniper sneered, remaining seated.

"No one else is exactly rushing to join you." Draco said. Juniper despised the fact that he was right. Everyone else was already grouped together, starting on their jinxes. "Which will it be?"

"Shield." Juniper muttered, standing up reluctantly. Harry had taught Dumbledore's Army shield charms last year, she was on good terms with Fred during that lesson so she actually learnt a thing or two. Of course, she hadn't been able to perform the charm non-verbally, but she was close.
Both she and Draco were cheating, whispering the incantations under their breath, rather than staying silent. After ten minutes, Juniper was able to shield Draco's jinxes by just mouthing the words, which she thought was a win.
Just as they were about to swap roles, Juniper watched Harry knock Snape off balance with his shield, making the Professor stumble against a table.