Episode 33: Holden

I left my office and headed to the conference room, knowing that Eriola would be arriving soon so we could start our meeting. She had been on my mind a lot lately, ever since we had that late lunch together two weeks ago. I knew she was in a relationship with Jonathan and they had a child together. But I also felt a strong connection with her, though I didn't want to put her in a difficult situation.

As I entered the conference room, I saw my team already hard at work. Some were snacking on fruit and cheese, a tradition during our long meetings. Eriola was already there, looking stunning as always. When the others noticed me, they greeted me before returning to their tasks.

I made my way around the table and sat next to Eriola, who had her sketch book out drawing renovations for the hotel. Her drawings were exquisite and I could watch her for hours. I wanted to pull her onto my lap and kiss her neck right then and there. But I quickly shook off that thought.

"It's good to see you again, Eriola," I said, trying to make polite conversation.

She turned to me with those beautiful purple eyes and I felt myself melting in my seat. Her smile was just as gorgeous as her eyes.

"The blueprints are coming along well," she replied excitedly. "I'm a perfectionist, so I want to make sure they meet your standards. I've added some additional touches and changes that I think you'll like when they're finished this Friday."

I nodded, trying to look professional. "That sounds great," I managed to say, clearing my throat. "Well, let's get started on today's agenda."

The meeting commenced and I found it hard to focus on anything other than Eriola. I could smell her sweet perfume wafting through the air, and I couldn't help but wonder what it would be like to have her in my arms. After what seemed like hours, the meeting was over and everyone but Eriola had left the room. I took a deep breath and cleared my throat again, trying to keep my composure.

"Eriola, I wanted to ask you something," I said, looking at her intently. She was still engrossed in her drawings until she looked up at me with her mesmerizing eyes. "What would you say if I told you that... I can't stop thinking about our late lunch together and, well, I can't stop thinking about you?" I blurted out, feeling my cheeks flush with heat.

Eriola's expression softened as she put down her pencil and turned to face me fully. "I've been thinking about you too," she said gently. "But as you know, I'm in a committed relationship with Jonathan, and I love him. That doesn't stop me from thinking about you, Holden. However, I never cheat on the person I'm with. Even though Jonathan has cheated on me several times in the past—that's actually why I relocated here to Evergreen Valley," she explained.

That motherfucker cheated on this amazing woman? Jonathan must be the dumbest man on Earth. Men like me dream of being with someone like Eriola, and he has her only to hurt and betray her. What an asshole.

"You didn't have to share all that, Eriola. I just wanted to let you know that I like you, but I'll respect your relationship. Could we at least be friends?" I leaned back in my chair as I asked her.

"That's all just Friends? She ask me.

"Yeah, friends," I reply, a bitter laugh escaping my lips. She's too fucking sweet and innocent for the world I belong to. But still, I can't help but be drawn to her.

"And that means no touching," Eriola says, her voice soft yet firm. It's clear she's setting boundaries, laying down the rules of our so-called friendship.

"No touching?" I echo, amused. The thought makes me consider the prospects. To have this woman so close yet unable to claim her, to feel her skin against mine...that's a fucking torture all on its own. But if that's what it takes, I'll abide. For now. I would do anything to keep her close. She has no idea about my darker side, but it's best if I can shield her from the illicit parts of my life. In this industry, you have to do whatever it takes to remain at the top.

"Yeah," she continues, "I mean it." Her face is stern but deep in her eyes there's a flicker of uncertainty. It's tantalizing.

"Alright," I say, feigning disappointment as I lean back in my chair, my gaze never leaving hers.

A few moments of silence passes between us as we just sit there, lost in our thoughts. My fingers drum impatiently against the cold wooden table; being around her like this - not able to touch her – is straining my self-control.

We say our goodbyes for the day, and I watch as she walks out of the conference room, her steps light and graceful. My eyes are glued to every sway of her hips until she disappears out of sight. My thoughts are dark and twisted, a reflection of the life I live. I am Holden Sterling after all—we own half this fucking city.

I yearn to take Eriola into my world and show her what it means to be owned by a man like me. A dangerous man with dangerous desires. But for now, friends will do. The game has only just begun.

Reader's Note,

Eriola and Holden have revealed their feelings for each other, but Eriola is committed to Jonathan. Holden has suggested they remain friends for now. But why do Holden and Jonathan despise each other so much? Find out in the next few episodes.

Happy Reading! 

Pagine D'Oro