Episode 63: Eriola (Jonathan's Funeral Part 1)

Today was the day to say goodbye to my soulmate. My heart is heavy and I'm in immense pain. Holden and his brothers have been a huge support for me, along with my mother and sister. My father hasn't reached out or come to see me, but it's okay. Holden made sure to contact Rachael, his ex-wife and mother of their sons. I asked her to sit with us as family, since my daughter is her son's little sister.

Jonathan meant everything to me, and at 33 years old, I never thought I would be a widow. He died protecting us from an act of violence that was targeted at our family. I am furious at those who put a hit on us. Holden and his brothers promised to find out who killed Jonathan and put an end to it.

I stand in front of the bedroom mirror, the same one Jonathan and I shared when we first came to the Hamptons. I'm not sure what will become of this house or how things will work out, but those are worries for another day. I'm dressed in a sleek, all-black outfit: a Mesh Lantern Sleeve Split Back Bodycon Dress without a belt, black stockings, and stiletto heels.

My black Chanel clutch, a gift from Jonathan, completes the look. My hair is down in loose waves, and my makeup is flawless thanks to a professional who came over. I take one last look at myself, wiping my tears away. I can't break down now, not when my daughter and Jonathan's family need me to be strong.

I make my way to the living room, where Holden and his brothers are waiting for me, along with my mother and sister. My eyes meet Holden's, and the pain in his eyes mirrors mine. He understands my pain all too well. I am joined by Miriam, who is holding my daughter Anya. I can see that Anya has been crying, as her tears are still visible on her face.

Miriam hands her over to me, and I wrap her in a comforting hug. Both Anya and I are dressed in matching black outfits and shoes. Miriam has tied her hair back with black bows.

Rachel and Jonathan's two sons are also here at the house. Rachel embraces both me and Anya, followed by the boys. We make our way out, Holden by my side never leaving me alone. Miriam is on the other side, while my mother and sister stand behind us. I am grateful for this strong support system.

We make our way to the cars, a row of sleek black SUVs and town cars awaiting our departure. The short ride takes us to the church where the funeral service will be held. As we arrive, Holden pulls me in close and whispers, "Cupcake, should I take Anya with me so that you and I can walk in together?" He asks for my preference.

I nod and hand her over to him, grateful for his thoughtfulness. We step out of the car, flashes from cameras blind us. Microphones are shoved in our faces, and reporters yell out questions. "How does it feel to be a widow at such a young age? What do you have to say to your husband's killers? Are you worried about your own safety?"

Holden places a comforting hand on my lower back, guiding me through the sea of microphones and flashes. We soon reach the church, where Jonathan's casket sits at the altar. The scent of lilies and roses fills the air, but it does nothing to mask the scent of death that permeates the room. I take my seat in the front pew with Holden and his brothers flanking me on both sides.

Rachael and the boys occupy the same pew as Anya and I, while my mother and sister sit on the next one with Miriam. Vince directs the other bodyguards to their designated spots around the church, which is filled with familiar faces of those who knew Jonathan. The funeral service commences.

As the service begins, I can't help but feel empty inside. How will I ever move on without my best friend, lover, and protector? Jonathan's associates steps up to deliver a eulogy. He speaks of his first the first time they met, and how Jonathan saved his life.

Through the eulogy, I am transported back in time to when we first met. How happy and carefree we were back then, before life threw us this curveball.Tears stream down my face uncontrollably, and he hands me a handkerchief to wipe them away. As the last person finishes speaking, the priest approaches the pulpit and clears his throat.