Episode 78: The news!

Eriola's POV

For two entire months, I have secluded myself to focus on my healing. No calls or messages from anyone - not Holden, my parents, or even Salvador. The only voices I hear are those of my boss, Margaret, and my trusted nanny, Miriam. It's been a challenging 60 days since I made the decision to distance myself from others in order to properly grieve for my late husband. But amidst the solitude, I am able to find moments of peace and clarity as I navigate this difficult journey of loss and self-discovery.

I have been attending therapy it's been helping me understand my loss and cope with the overwhelming grief. My days have been long and lonely without Jonathan but I am learning to live again. Miriam has been a life saver she have been the one person that I could really lean on. She was there when I needed her most, she cooked, cleaned and even watched Anya for me. My little girl is one year old now, and she's started taking her first steps.

I miss her father every day, but it's especially hard when he's not here to celebrate important milestones like her first birthday. The only ones present for the party were Margaret, Miriam, and myself. I woke up this morning, I was hit with a wave of nausea that left me feeling incredibly ill. After dealing with this for about a week, I finally made the decision to go see a doctor and get to the bottom of this sickness.

I lay on the crinkly paper of the exam table, I attempt to distract myself by staring at the dull water stain on the ceiling. My heart was pounding a million times a minute as I waited anxiously for the results of my tests. Finally, Dr. Sanders, my OB-Gyn, with her warm smile and reassuring bedside manner, walks back into the room, folder in hand.

"Eriola", she starts, "I have some news for you." My stomach churns even more, my mind racing with worst-case scenarios.

"I'm listening," I managed to chock out with a quivering voice.

"Well, Eriola," Dr. Sanders says gently, placing a kind hand on my trembling leg. The doctor's words hung thick in the air, heavy with shock and disbelief. "It appears that you are exactly 6 weeks pregnant, dear," she said softly, her voice conveying a mix of surprise and concern.

The room spins around me, and the news sinks in like a ton of bricks. I am carrying Holden's child. Damn it, I completely forgot to take my birth control pills after Jonathan's funeral. This is not the best timing for a pregnancy. I am not ready for this, not now.

"Are you alright, Eriola?" Dr. Sanders asked, her voice laced with worry as she passes me a cup of water.

"I-I don't know what to say," I muttered, my hands shaking as I gripped the cold glass. This was not part of the plan, I was prepared to go back to work and focused on my career and Anya.

Dr. Sanders' voice was a calming balm on my frazzled nerves as she spoke to me. "Take all the time you need, Eriola," she said, her tone gentle and understanding. "This is a lot to process and it's important that you make the best decision for both yourself and your unborn child. Now, I have to ask - is the baby your late husband's?"

The doctor's question catches me off guard, her inquisitive eyes boring into mine. I pause, considering my options before the truth tumbles out of my lips. "No, Dr. Sanders, it's not Jonathan's," I confess, my cheeks flushing a deep shade of red. "It's..."

My throat felt dry as I answered her, my mind racing with a million thoughts. The weight of making these decisions alone bore down on me heavily. I knew that only I could ultimately decide on the fate of this precious life growing inside me. But there was one person who needed to know about the baby - Holden.

I inhaled deeply, mentally steeling myself for the conversation ahead as I walked towards his office. My heart raced with a mixture of anxiety and excitement. It had been months since I last saw him, and I was eager to share this news with him. Despite my fears, I knew deep down that I loved Holden Sterling completely and without reservation.