Episode 38: Jonathan

Eriola's phone vibrated angrily, indicating a text message had invaded her space. At only 8 in the morning, someone was already disturbing her. I felt irritation simmering in my veins - this intrusion was unacceptable. I snatched the phone to see a text shouting "CALL ME" in bold letters.

"Why are you getting messages this early?" I asked Eriola sharply, my brows furrowing. She glided over from the nightstand where I stood and plucked the phone from my grasp.

"I don't recognize this pushy number, and it originates from New York." She shook her head in aggravation before placing the phone back down and sauntering to the walk-in closet to get dressed. Suddenly, the phone blared shrilly instead of vibrating. As her protective husband, I instinctively seized it.

"Who is this? And why are you harassing my wife?" I growled menacingly into the receiver, determined to uncover this person's identity and why they were contacting my wife. It had better not be that sneaky Holden Sterling again.

The voice on the other end of the line stammered, "I'm sorry for interrupting, sir. I am Eriola's father, 'Darryl Coleman.' May I speak with her?" The elderly man requested.

"Of course, sir. Please forgive me for yelling earlier," I responded, waiting for his reply.

"It's no trouble, son. Would you mind putting my daughter on the phone?" He asked politely. I was surprised; Eriola never mentioned her family before. I always assumed she had none, just like me. My parents have both passed away.

"Eriola, your father is calling on the phone," I yelled, spinning around to face the walk-in closet. Eriola stepped out, dressed in a matching bra and panty set. My thoughts immediately turned to how delicious she looked, but this was not the time to focus on that. She needed to talk to her father.

Eriola emerged from the closet and made her way to my side. "I'll check on our daughter while you talk to your dad," I said.

Eriola took the phone from me, her voice cautious as she greeted her father. I couldn't resist listening in on their conversation. "Don't worry, Dad, everything is okay. Yes, I am fine." After a brief pause, Eriola continued speaking with him.

As she chatted on the phone, I quietly entered our daughter's room and picked her up in my arms. Anya rested her head on my shoulder and we made our way back to our bedroom. The sound of Eriola's father's voice could be heard coming from her phone, which was on speaker.

"Eriola, why don't you ever come visit us? We've been trying to call your number but it seems like you've changed everything without telling us. You didn't even let us know when you moved out of New York. You should be ashamed of yourself," he scolded. "Why can't you be more like your sister and settle down with a husband and kids? Why do you have to complicate things with your career as an architect?" His words were sharp and filled with disappointment. I could see the hurt in my wife's eyes as her father spoke to her as if she were nothing.

"Father, I don't owe you an explanation for my decisions in life. Yes, I changed my phone number and moved, but it was for my own well-being. And for your information, the man you just talked to on the phone is my husband and the father of our daughter," she retorted with frustration in her voice.

"Well why haven't we met this man or your so-called daughter? You're probably lying about them too, just like everything else in your life. You'll never amount to anything. That's why we love your sister, she have her life together while you...I don't even know what to make of you," he laughed bitterly.

I couldn't stand listening any longer. I stood up and walked over to Eriola, taking the phone from her hand. I handed her our daughter and stepped forward to defend my wife. "Excuse me Mr. Coleman, my name is Jonathan Covington and I am your daughter's husband. Eriola is a wonderful woman who deserves respect, just like any human being. But let me make one thing clear, you will never speak to her like that again or I will make sure you never work again. Do I make myself clear?" I shouted into the phone, fed up with his words.

I could hear Eriola's father inhale deeply before speaking, his voice stern and commanding. "Let me be clear, you will never speak to me like that again," he responded before abruptly ending the call. I threw the phone on the bed, feeling enraged at the verbal abuse Eriola had endured.

I pulled my wife and daughter into a warm embrace, trying to comfort them both. And that's when it happened - Eriola broke down into tears. I gently laid Anya on the bed and she settled down peacefully. Then I held Eriola close to me as she cried. "Let it out, my sweet girl. I love you so much and no one will ever hurt you again," I whispered to her.

Eriola sobbed for a while before pulling away and looking up at me with tear-stained cheeks. "I don't understand why he treats me like this. I am wealthy and successful in my own right, but even now that we're married with a baby, he still isn't proud of me." She leaned her head back against my chest and said, "I even assist my parents with their bills every month. It's something I choose to do, not because I have to."

I rubbed her back soothingly. "I know you do. Your heart is too big for your own good sometimes. But you must remember that it's his loss, not yours. You are an amazing person, and I am proud to call you my wife." My voice cracked as I continued, "I love you, Eriola, and nothing will ever change that."

As I held her close, the weight of my words hung in the air, heavy with unspoken fears and desires. The future was uncertain, and I could only hope that our love would withstand the storms yet to come.

Reader's Note,

Jonathan's love for Eriola knows no bounds, but their future is filled with uncertainties and challenges. Can their love withstand the storms ahead? Stay tuned to find out in the upcoming episodes.

Happy Reading! 

Pagine D'Oro