Episode 60: Jonathan (Meet the family)

We left the highway and entered the bustling streets of Queens, with Manhattan's towering skyline looming ahead. The sun was high in the sky, casting long shadows as we turned onto the Queensboro Bridge and drew closer to the iconic cityscape. Holden expertly maneuvered through traffic while Nicholas kept a vigilant eye from the passenger seat.

Eriola and I exchanged a tense glance in the rearview mirror. Our SUV was flanked by two others as we made our way through the lively city streets. The journey from the peaceful Hamptons had filled us with both excitement and caution as we approached the vibrant heart of Manhattan. The drive had been uneventful, but the city's constant energy was palpable, a sharp contrast to the calmness we had left behind.

The anticipation of meeting Eriola's family mingled with the hustle and bustle of urban life surrounding us. As we crossed the bridge, the city's energy surged around us, with honking taxis and hurried pedestrians filling the sidewalks below. Eriola squeezed my hand tighter, her eyes reflecting a mix of thrill and nervousness.

"We're almost there," I reassured her, trying to push aside any lingering unease from my earlier encounter with a mysterious figure. The thought of what was waiting for us on the other side, meeting Eriola's family in their home city, brought both hope and a slight sense of foreboding.

I wasn't sure if Marco or Arkady were lurking nearby. I had a team monitoring them, and they reported no changes. However, we would soon find out for ourselves. We had no idea that our trip to Manhattan would be fraught with difficulties and surprising discoveries that would strain our connections in unforeseen ways. We pulled up in front of a lavish high-rise in the city's heart, where Eriola parents lived.

In a rush to get out of the car, Holden and his brother Nicholas flung themselves out first. With a fierce grip, Nicholas flung open my door, as I quickly reached for my wife's hand to help her out. My heart raced as I saw the anxiety etched on her face. I made my way around to the other side of the truck, I carefully unbuckled our sleeping daughter and cradled her in my arms. Miriam grabbed the baby bag and we stood together, ready to face what was coming next.

I turned to Eriola, my voice trembling with anticipation. "Are you ready, Sweet Girl?" Her nerves were evident as she looked up at me and nodded. Holden stepped closer, his face solemn.

"Jonathan, my brother and I will walk ahead of you. We'll have three men trailing us for safety," he instructed. I nodded in understanding, aware that every precaution was necessary.

Surrounded by our entourage, we made our way towards the towering building, feeling like trapped animals amidst the bustling city. Our arrival was met with a warm greeting from the doorman, their smile almost too bright against the grey surroundings. As we approached the elevator, I felt my wife's hand tighten in mine - this was it, the moment that I would meet her family for the first time.

The lobby exuded luxury and extravagance, leaving a strong impression on us both. A uniformed doorman ushered us into one of the gleaming elevator cars and pressed a button for our desired floor. The doors closed with a soft chime, enclosing us in a world of plush carpets and gold fixtures. My heart raced as we ascended, each passing floor bringing us closer to facing her family.

Eriola's family is not a close-knit one, except for her relationship with her sister and occasionally her mother. I wish she had more family support. She used to have a best friend, but they haven't spoken in years.

After what felt like an eternity, the elevator doors opened on the 80th floor. Eriola quickly smoothed out her hair before leading me into her parents' lavish penthouse. Eriola knocked thrice on the imposing doors, and I could hear footsteps approaching from within. My pulse quickened as anticipation and trepidation mingled in my chest.