chp: 55

"you're okay!" sakura gasped in relief.

sakura launched herself at lightning, hugging him tight. arms around his shoulders, head buried in his neck, she was the first to make a movement. lightning flexed his fingers and hugged her back.

"you were out for almost a week." kiba walk towards him, akamaru immediately jumped into lightning's lap.

lightning began to scratch behind the dogs ear. he wasn't surprised he was out for a week, his heart was having to reconstruct itself and form into a pumping blood vessel. he was physically getting a new heart, now he had one, and he didn't want it.

lightning squeezed gaara's hand again, that made him feel grounded. his eye began to scan around the room, just in case, just to see if he'll show up. his free hand covering his eye.

"he's not here." naruto frowned, not looking at lightning, guilt still hitting him from the mission.

lightning's shoulders depleted as he looked sunken in. shikamaru handed him his head band, eyes a bit red around the rims. lightning could tell he'd been crying, but that wasn't his problem right now.

of course he isn't here. lightning looked down to avoid eye contact. his bedsheets where the first thing he saw, so he kept his field of vision there. what a pretty white.

"lightning?" a soft and monotone voice spoke next to lightning. lightning glanced at gaara, said male squeezed his again, and that's what lightning needed. he looked at their intertwined hands. "we'll get him back."

lightning only nodded, mouth pressed into a thin line. he felt no energy to talk, didn't know if he ever would have that. his eye remained blank, he had no energy to show emotion either. the two emotions swirling in his heart was disbelief and anger.

gaara studied lightning, eyes flickering over his non-responsive actions. he glanced at all of his friends, they all looked worried. he looked back at lightning who was now looking up at the ceiling, eye narrowed and fingers curling over his mouth in thought.

"i'd like to speak to lightning alone." gaara finally spoke, looking at the leaf ninjas and his siblings.

"that's not a good idea." shikamaru said, eyes narrowing. he was still iffy on gaara, afraid on what he would do while lightning was down and weak.

"let's leave them." naruto said, "lightning likes gaara, they're close."

sakura nodded, "besides, gaara hasn't kept anything from lightning." she looked away guiltily.

everyone flinched and left the room, staying outside of the hospital room. they kept themselves hidden, and their chakra as best as they could, they wanted to listen in. just in case. just to check on lightning too.

gaaara and lightning were oblivious to their lurkers. after all, lightning was too weak and tired to focus on that and gaara was worried for his close friend.

"you taught me to open up." gaara said, lightning looked at him, waiting for the red haired male to continue. "you were my first friend. told me it was going to be okay, even with who i was." this was the most gaara has spoken, but it was worth it, for lightning. "it's going to be okay. don't go back to your old self."

lightning stared at gaara, his lip trembled a bit. every emotion struck him like a tsunami. the wave of grief and sadness for remembering his mother and brother's looks and deaths. the somewhat joy to have a big sister even if she's not worthy of that title. the pain of sasuke leaving without a goodbye. the photo album full of memories he wanted to share for the one he cares deeply about. there was just so much going on and lightning couldn't control his emotions anymore.