Right On Time

"Look back on your life and tell me: was it everything you thought it would be? Do you have regrets? Did you kiss her one last time, or tell her how much you loved her before you turned out the light? Have you lived enough to be ready for what comes next? Are you ready to let go?"

(MIA POV)
2:46 a.m.

I picked up my things and rushed down the stairs to meet Marjorie, Winter, and Charlotte.

They were all huddled together by the front door. When they saw me, they all went quiet.

Marjorie spoke first. "Right, are we all ready to go?"

"You're not going. All of you are staying here," I replied firmly.

Winter chimed in, sounding irritated, "What do you mean we're staying here? My wife was taken away by that monster. I'm not staying behind!"

"Amelia, we're going. I'm not letting you walk into the lions den by yourself." Charlotte reached for my hand, but I moved it away from her.

"You all have no idea how bad this could get. He is dangerous. You two," I said, pointing at Marjorie and Winter, "know that if I bring you and something happens to either of you, both of your partners will kill me." I narrowed my eyes at them, "And then they'd kill you."

They looked at each other, understanding my reason for wanting them to stay.

2:49 a.m.

"Fine, they can stay, but I'm coming with you." Charlotte said, grabbing her purse and keys. "They might fear their partners, but I'm certainly not afraid of mine."

"It's not me you should be afraid of..." I mumbled. "You're staying. End of."

She practically growled at me, "I'm an adult. You can't tell me what to do. I'm going with you!"

I looked over at Marjorie and Winter. "I have to go alone. It's the only way." My eyes met Marjorie's, and somehow she knew what I needed her to do.

I leaned in to kiss Char one more time. "You are the best woman in the world, and I love that you want to come with me."

She smiled, thinking I was about to give in and let her go. "I won't let you go around him alone. We're getting married. I need you to be safe."

"Sweetheart, I will be... and so will you. I love you so much. Forever and always."

Marjorie took the keys from Charlotte while she wasn't paying attention and tossed them to me. Then, her and Winter held onto her arms so I could leave.

"I'll bring them home and come back to you. I promise."

Charlotte was yelling at me not to go, and they were holding her back. The fear in her voice was breaking my heart. "Mia, wait! Amelia! Don't go!"

2:54 a.m.

I shut the door behind me and raced off to meet Roger. The entire drive, my phone was blowing up with messages and missed calls. They were all from Charlotte.

I didn't need to check to know how upset she was. Marjorie was going to keep her locked in my house until Reecey and Autumn returned... I still wasn't sure if I'd make it out...

What if he still makes me choose? What if the only way to free two is to let one perish? He would do something awful like that just so I had more blood on my hands the same way he did.

3:00 a.m.

It didn't have to be like last time. Last time was an accident. It wasn't my fault... I wasn't even the one driving. I was just...

But this time, this time, it would be my fault. Who would I choose if I was forced?

3:05 a.m.

Reecey had just found the love of his life and was finally in a good place with his sister. He was thriving with Marjorie, planning to propose to her very soon.

Autumn was in a blissful bubble with Winter. They'd just gotten married, and they still had so many milestones ahead of them. She was living the life she always wanted.

3:08 a.m.

Then, there's Thomas... my father. I couldn't stand him, but I didn't want him to leave the world. Leave behind his daughter and his grandson. I may not be too fond of him, but they are. They need him. He is their whole world. I know how that feels because he used to be mine. I was his once, too.

... once upon a dream.

3:11 a.m.

There was only one clear choice.

The only one that made the most sense. The one no one would ever suspect. As I pulled into the car park at the meeting point, my heart felt heavy. My mind raced with memories of what would happen when I walked through the door.

What would I see in front of me? Who would beg for their life as they watched it fall in my hands? Who would give in and sacrifice themselves for the others? Would I make the right choice? Could they live with it?

I got out of the car, placed my hand to turn the doorknob, and entered. That's when I saw them all in front of me. I knew what I had to do next.

They were all tied to some metal columns around the room. Mouths covered with duct tape. Peter in front of them to make sure they didn't get away.

Reecey's bruises looked worse in person. He looked worse than he did after how badly Roger beat him the day his mum left. I never thought I'd see anything as awful as that again, but apparently... I was wrong. Poor Reecey baby couldn't even open his eyes to look at me.

Autumn saw me. A terrified look fell upon her face. She was as white as a ghost with fear. She started to yell at me through the tape on her mouth. It was incoherent, but I knew what was going on in her mind. She was almost in tears, begging me to leave with her eyes.

I just gave her a reassuring smile, mouthing, "I can't let you die."

My father was out cold. I almost thought he was already dead, but I could see his chest moving up and down slowly. He wouldn't make it if I didn't get them out of here fast enough.

3:15 a.m.

"Right on time, Amelia. Such a good girl. Always so... punctual," Roger said, practically spitting the evil in my direction. He was looking me up and down. He'd even come over to brush my hair behind my ear, getting a better view of my face. "So beautiful, too."

He leaned in to whsiper in my ear. I felt his breath on me, and it sent a shiver down my spine. I felt dirty with him that close. I was once again a prisoner to my thoughts and fears. Trying to regain my control over myself was going to be nearly impossible.

But, it had to be done.

"You're so lucky you came." He planted a dreadful kiss on my cheek, and that's when I saw it.

A small revolver in his hand was pointed at me as I shut the door behind me. I tried to stay calm. "I know how to do as I'm told."

He let out an evil laugh. His dark eyes fixed on mine, and I could see my life flashing before my eyes. "Have a seat, bitch. It's time to get started. I have some matters I'd like to discuss with you."

*A/N- Well... this rat just won't go away. I've tried setting traps, but nothing works. Hm... I wonder what we're going to do.