The Uncomfortable

(CHAR POV)
"Amelia, I need to have a serious conversation with you about something that happened during my meeting with Roger." I said it as quickly as possible.

"Char? Don't you think you should open your eyes to say all that if it's so serious?" She asked. I hadn't even realized my eyes were closed, and my body was tense. It felt like I was flinching. Mia was on the phone with me, not even in the room, and I was worried about her reaction.

I slowly peeked my eyes open to see her sitting there with her eyebrows raised at me. "Right... they're open now..."

She laughs, "Yup, I can see that. Now, what's up?"

I bit my lip nervously, "You know what? I should just wait to tell you until you're home. It's going to be too much, and I want you here with me so I can show you, and I just don't know if I shou-"

"Charlotte!" She yelled, "Slow down and breathe, baby. You're practically purple because you're talking so fast." I stopped, and she talked me through a couple of deep breaths. "That's it, Sweetheart. Nice and slow." She said softly, staring into my eyes to make me feel steady. "Good. Now, tell me whatever it is that happened at the meeting."

I inhaled one more time before starting to speak again, slower this time, "Look. Roger was awful the whole meeting, and I didn't want to tell you about that, but there was something else. He gave me a file on you." I pulled the file out from my bedside table and showed it to her, "I promise I haven't looked in it, but it's been driving me crazy to not tell you."

She wasn't phased by what I'd just told her. I sat and waited for her reply with a massive confused look across my face.

"What?" She said plainly, "There's nothing in there that I don't want you to know about. Sure, there's stuff I haven't told you yet that could be in there, but I'd tell you eventually anyway." I didn't move, too stunned by how relaxed she seemed about it all. "Baby, if you want to read what's in there, go ahead. If you find something you want to talk about when I'm back with you, then make a list, and I'll go over everything. In detail."

"You'd really be comfortable with me reading this?" I said, picking up the massive file and showing it to the camera.

She just smiled at me, "Yes, Sweetheart. I trust you enough not to judge me for what might be in there." Her eyes were soft, and her smile was warm until she snapped out of it for a second and got nervous. "But if there's a section in there on all the partners I've had, you should skip it!"

I rolled my eyes and dropped the file in disgust, "Amelia Roberts! How many could there be that you're only nervous for that section?" I asked, glaring at her.

"Do you really want to fight about that?" She asked, matching my energy but remaining soft.

"No. I suppose not. It seems silly to fight over something like that."

"Good." She grinned at me, "So, should I leave you to your reading?"

"What reading?" I said, smiling at her. I walked down to the kitchen and let her watch as I threw the whole file into the bin.

Mia gasped at my gesture, "Sweetheart, I said you could read it. Aren't you curious as to what's in there?"

I shook my head, "No." She stared back at me amazed, "If there's something I need to know, then you'll tell me when you're ready. Plus, it came from Roger. That handsy old man probably put a bunch of nonsense in there to try and separate us."

She was smiling until I mentioned Roger. I'd slipped and mentioned the one thing I made Reece promise not to.

Her eyes went dark, and her tone changed. "Did you say he was handsy with you?" She practically growled.