Chapter 12

Karoline's POV

It had been about a week since the police took my biological parents to the local jail to be booked. Our court date was in three days. They said there was a great chance that we would win. I hoped so, and we went to court the next day for the adoption process. Demi says that we will have separate interviews and then the judge will pull us in together to tell us his verdict. I was so nervous, I had a feeling that it would be a good ending, but there was always part of me that said is won't.

**At the Court for Adoption**

"Everything is going to be okay. I promise you that. I won't let anything bad happen to you ever again," Demi whispered.

"I would like to call Karoline Tomorniah to Judge Jala's chambers," a court officer called. I followed him into an intimidating room. I sat down and there was a woman in front of me.

"So your Karoline Melissa Tomorniah am I correct," Judge asked.

"Yes I am she," I said.

"Okay and you are waiting to be in custody of Demetria Devonne Lovato," she asked.

"Yes mam," I said.

"Okay, I am Judge Jala, and you can call me Judge Jay, but only kids are allowed to," she said.

"Okay Judge Jay," I smiled.

"So why do you want to be legally Demetria's daughter," she asked.

"Well, I have known her for a while now and I love her. My parents have been arrested for abusing me and Demi is my only family. I mean she isn't biologically my mom, but she is as close at it will get. I love her and would do anything for her," I said.

"Okay, and in your words is she able to take care of you," she asked.

"Yes mam," I squealed.

"Alright, I will talk to Demetria now," she said.

"No offense, but you might want to call her Demi, she doesn't like Demetria," I giggled.

"Okay, I will take that into consideration," she said. I left and sat in a chair and waited to be called back for our interview together. It took about 30 minutes before they called me back again.

"Okay, so I have come to a conclusion that Demi is more than capable of taking care of you," she smiled.

"Okay, on behalf of the State of California, Demetria Devonne Lovato is now legally, Karoline Melissa Lovato's mother," she smiled. We went home and had a mini party. I was glad to call myself her daughter.

**At the Court Date for her parents**

"Guilty of Child endangerment," One of the jury member said.

"And of child abuse?" Judge Jay asked.

"Guilty of all charges put against the Tomorniah's," I almost squealed, but I just squeezed Demi's hand. I had to go back to Judge Jay's chambers and talk about something.

"You will be sentenced 30 years to life," Judge Jay said. She left and then about 10 minutes later I was called back.

"Okay, so Karoline, your parents have a will and it is all willed to you," Judge Jay said.

"Okay and what does that mean," I asked.

"It means that they have left you their fortune of 40 million dollars. Their house is willed to you, their stocks, which will be given to Demi, and their cars, and everything that they own basically is yours" she said.

"So I can sell it," I asked.

"Yeah, if that is what you want to do," she said. I was dismissed with all the paper work. I would talk it over with Demi, but I wanted to sell almost everything unless we needed or wanted it.

"Guess who you are talking to," I asked Demi.

"I don't know, Karoline Lovato," she guessed.

"No, Karoline Lovato the millionaire," I laughed. She just looked confused. I explained it all, what we had and what our options were. We were going to start cleaning out my house tomorrow.