Prologue

CHARACTERS OF THIS BOOK ARE NOT MINE.  Well, not all of them anyway. THEY ARE FROM THE POKEMON COMPANY.

It's my second time to write a fan fiction. I hope you like it :) If you think there's something wrong or something I should change, please comment. Your opinion is important to me (whether you hate it or love it).

(EDITED: 4/2/16)

Prologue

"Hahaha! I'm going to catch you Bianca!"

"Noooo! You're too slow Cheren!"

"Hey! You're pretty slow too!"

"Shut up, Black!"

"You're It!" the black haired boy tackled the brunette and adjusted his slipping glasses. Dirt coated his fingers and left a smudge on the transparent material.

Black pushed the other boy to the Nuvema grass."No, you're it!"

"Hey! No back tags!" Cheren shouted while Bianca giggled at them, almost falling to the grass herself.

Soon to be Professor Aurea Juniper looked at the laughing children from the window in her laboratory. She knew these kids since they were born, except that boy called Black who moved in Nuvema a year ago. Bianca and Cheren's family were good friends and neighbors to the Junipers. Black's family, despite from their big city origins, were fast to adjust and had fit in with the rest of the town. The kids became fast friends and were always playing and destroying stuff, including Aurea's concentration. Typical things that seven year olds do.

"Aurea," her father, the famous Professor Cedric Juniper called her. "Have you heard of Pokédex holders?"

"Aren't they those kids who defeated Team Rocket in the Kanto region? The ones who Professor Oak entrusted with a special device?" Aurea answered. She, too, was curious about the Pokédex and much more for the holders. How can children defeat a large, powerful organization?    

"Yes. So far, Professor Elm of Johto is giving three Pokédexes to three lucky kids in Johto," Cedric said. "And they're developing new Pokédexes for Hoenn."

"Wait, Dad. Does that mean Unova's getting Pokédexes as well?" Aurea asked. That was wonderful news. With Pokédexes, their research of Pokémon origins would improve drastically. 

"Yes, but that would still take a long time. Seven years maybe? A Pokédex is a very complicated device. It would take years to develop and upgrade one. Not to mention the amount of time and effort that is needed to collect data. Sinnoh would receive their Pokédex first and Kalos would go after us... But I want you to find three suitable kids for this job. I heard that we'll have 4 Pokédexes. The other one will be taken as backup," he explained.

"Children entrusted with Pokédexes?" she frowned.

"Ah," her father smiled. "The future belongs to those who are curious, Aurea. The ones who are not afraid to try new things, explore new places, poke at them and question them. And which can be more curious than a child's mind?"

At that, Aurea looked thoughtfully at Bianca, Cheren and Black. Are they suitable enough for the responsibility? Well, she still has seven years to think and plan. And seven years for the children to grow and mature. 

She thought more about the children. Maybe the 4th Pokédex can go with White, her friend's daughter. Cheren can probably go; the kid is smart but not that dependable with his overconfidence. Bianca, sure she's optimistic but she can get too childish and clumsy. Black, very talented but too hyper. And another girl in Nuvema she heard about. Juniper heard that she is clever but she never did see the young girl come out. Oh well, they can still change.

As Aurea lay on her bed that very night, one question kept her from sleeping. Would she ever find the suitable four?