S2x02.5 - Shape Shifted || Part Two

RAEGAN MCCALL

The next day, we were at school as usual. Adeline refused to go to school without me, Scott, or Sammy, so I tried to convince Mom to let me stay home to take care of Adeline. Of course, she refused and chose to stay home instead, saying something about asking the school about getting permission for Adeline to go to highschool with us. I don't know how or why they would let her, seeing that Adeline is like, seven, but whatever.

Since Scott and Stiles had to go early for practice, and we didn't have rides, so Sammy and I were near the middle of the bleachers watching the boys practice.

"Why is Scott the goalie?" Sammy asked.

I looked over to see that Scott was, in fact, standing in front of the goal with the goalie's gear on.

"That's weird. Isn't Danny usually the goalie?" I asked.

She nodded absentmindedly.

She's been like this all day. Present for a minute, then zoned out the next, deep in thought.

I waved my hand in front of her face. "Hello? Earth to Sam!"

She snapped out of it. "Huh? Yeah?"

"Why are you being so weird?" I frowned.

"Sorry, I just have a lot on my mind."

I didn't want to prod her, so I joked, "At least pay attention to our dumbass brothers play. Look at Scott now," I pointed. "I don't think the goalie's supposed to go attack the other players."

And, obviously, I was right because Finstock yelled, "McCall! Usually the goalie stays somewhere within the vicinity of the actual goal."

Scott nodded, but then did the same thing again and again and again.

"What's his problem?" I asked.

When I got no response, I turned to see Sammy staring into space.

I sighed and went back to watching my brother make a fool out of himself, yet again.

Coach reprimanded him for the nth time.

Number twenty-seven was next, Jackson. But he melodramatically rubbed his shoulder and Coach let him sit out, on the benches.

He was only a few rows in front of us, so I laughed out loud, "Pussy!"

That finally got a chuckle out of Sammy.

He turned back, flipped both of us off and turned back to the game.

Next was number fourteen, Isaac.

A.K.A. Adeline's brother.

I poked the practically comatose girl next to me, "Sammy, look it's Isaac. I thought he ran away. What is he doing at school?"

Sammy looked up, more interested now, but a confused look on her face. "I don't know..."

I continued, "I mean, if it I ran from home, school would be the last place I'd go."

She nodded, only half-listening because she was too busy staring holes into Isaac.

Coach suddenly blew the whistle and Scott lunged towards Isaac, like he did with the other players. Except this time, Isaac attacked back.

They flipped each other around then froze, kneeling on the grass. They glared at each other for a few seconds, breathing hard. Then they turned towards the three men that were walking across the field, making their way towards them.

It was the sheriff and two other deputies.

"Sams, what's your dad doing here?"

"I don't know..."