Chapter 13: Misconception

I stand there waiting for Sawyer to tell me this is a prank, but Sawyer is too serious of a person. He continues to stare at my face with those hard green eyes of his. His eyebrows are creased, full of disapproval.

"Tell me what happened to make you want to break in and steal a bloody watch?" I rake my brain for any memory of me taking that watch, I look down at my fingers, and start picking at them nervously. There is no way I took that watch, he's lying.

He sighs and runs his hands through his curly hair. I'm not sure what to do. Was he stalking me? The pit of my stomach is churning. Ok there has to be a damn logical explanation to all of this.

"How did you get the watch, if I stole it?" I cross my arms, still trying to figure out how I pulled such a burglary.

"You're either stupid or don't know shit. You dropped it while you were running." I didn't think he'd answer, so I stumble my words. I dropped it? I would have felt it if it was somewhere on me.

"Makes sense, but what doesn't make sense is the fact that I don't ever remember taking that watch. I didn't take it and I don't even know how to." I defend myself. "I'm trying to..."

"Trying to what?" He interrupts. "Trying to think of a lie?"

"Trying to make sense of it all." I glare at him. Sawyer can automatically tell if someone's lying, he has to know I'm not lying. "Read me." I tell him, and he smiles a ghost of a smile. I stand there knowing what's going to happen. He stands up and walks around me.

"You weren't talking fast, a clue you weren't self -editing. You sound reasonably sure. You're fidgeting, but that's something you get when you're being accused." He continues to walk around me, eyeing me. I see it in his eyes that he believes me, he has to. "You're lying" he says full of venom.

"You don't actually believe that." I ignore my stomach falling in anxiousness as I look up at him. I think back to him trying to help me and pay for everything I couldn't. He's confusing me, he's a great liar. Making me believe something I know I didn't do.

"Oh, I do though. I'm never wrong." He tells me with a side smile. He rubs the watch between his fingers, almost taunting me. I reach for the watch, snatching it out of his hand.

"What the hell?" He yells, but I run towards the bathroom door. Before I can reach the door, he steps in front of me.

"Where are you going?" My face is at his chest, but I feel his face inches from mine. I breath out my frustration. Ugh.

"I'm going to wash this ugly watch, which I didn't steal. Then I'm going to give it back, and leave." I tell him, my voice sounding calmer than what I actually feel inside. He looks at me one last time and finally moves out of my way. I walk in closing the bathroom behind me.

I don't know what it is, but Sawyer always has me on the verge of almost making me cry. I hope I hide it well, my life went from okay I might find answers, to me being some sort of criminal. I can't even trust myself. I look at the watch, it's a bit dirty but no cracks. I wonder when it fell out of me. I don't feel like I'm missing any current memory, like the huge gap that I feel about who I am or where I came from. I'm certain that I have recollection of everything from the first day till now. What am I going to do?

I turn the faucet on and get a small cloth. I damp the corner of the cloth and start wiping the dirt off the watch. There are no scratch marks, so it didn't fall that hard. I let a tear fall, mixing in with the damp cloth. Hopefully Drew understands, but Lisa? I don't know how she would react.

I walk back into the room, dreading to see Sawyer. The watch is still between my fingers and I can't take my eyes off of it, I didn't steal this. I look up hoping Sawyer isn't still here, but he's siting there on the bed looking at his phone. He's too preoccupied to notice I'm back.  I guess he's sees movement and looks up from his phone.