Chapter 42: Frame Worthy

Sawyer gets back into the car, slamming the driver door hard. He's holding his phone with his shoulder and is preparing to drive off. Sawyer looks at me one last time as I still stand, stuck in my place. He glares at me; as if I did something wrong.

I'm not sure what to do with myself. I'm upset that Sawyer kissed me. He stole my first kiss; sure I may have had my first kiss before my memory loss, but I don't know that person. I realize I'm still standing in the cold and walk back inside.

"Que, te besó Sawyer? Sawyer kissed you?" Nancy asks surprised. She saw my distressed state while I was walking into the house. She made hot chocolate and told me to get whatever's off my chest, by talking. So, that's exactly what I'm doing.

"I'm so lost. I don't know where to start; it seems like I won't be back to my normal self. I can't find my family. Do I even have family?And the nightmares."I sigh, confessing to her. I stare off into the distance, feeling empty. She sits down across from me after handing me a cup of hot chocolate.

"Ah, Sí; Sawyer me contó sobre tus pesadillas." She says in Spanish.

"What?" I ask, not knowing what she said.

"Perdon, sorry. Sawyer has told me about your nightmares." She sits up straighter. Her lips frown and her eyes droop in sadness. "I wish, I could help you." She sighs, reaching out for my hand. "Solo confía en él." (Just trust in him.) She nods with a smile. I don't bother asking what she said, but nod in agreement. Her tiny hands squeeze mine and she heads off somewhere in the house.

All my focus is on the damn kiss; the way his tall frame covered mine, protectively. And the warmth of his mouth against mine. For a second we were working with each other. I still have the taste of peppermint in my mouth. I close my eyes and shake my head; gross.

I subconsciously walk into the piano room, from all my thoughts being jumbled. It feels empty without Sawyer occupying the piano bench. I sit down and trace my fingers over the keys, too scared to make a sound. I press down on a key and the sound echos throughout the whole room. I start pressing on more keys, when I remember Sawyer isn't here, and he won't be here for a while.

I walk back into the hall and down to the next room. I've never been to this part of the house and I'm curious to see what I find. I walk into one room and it looks just like a guest bedroom. I head further down the hall and find it to be locked, bingo. I'm in a habit of carrying bobby pins, just in case I'm faced with a challenge like this. I wiggle the door open and let myself in. It looks like it's Sawyers office, everything is overly neat and in place. There is a bookshelf wall with a bunch of files. A small desk and a lamp. The room is the smallest room I've seen. I turn the switch on to get a clearer view and head for his desk. If I touch or move anything Sawyer will know.

My heart starts beating fast when I open one of Sawyers desk drawers and my mind keeps telling me that this is a terrible idea, but I have to push through, not going to stop. I rummage carefully through the drawer and find nothing but office supplies. I move onto the next drawer and there are more files, boring. The last drawer has a medium brown box and I quickly pull it out. I place it on the desk, my subconscious telling me not too, but at the same time itching to find out what's inside.

I slowly pull the lid off and see a bunch of letters from unknown people, the further in I go, I find a few pictures. I take a seat on the desk chair and look through the pictures. They're all mostly of Sawyer and his brother in suits at different events. I keep going through each picture until I stumble upon something I never thought Sawyer would have. It's a picture of me and Drew. We're both smiling and I'm on Drew's lap and it looks like he's tickling me. Where the heck did Sawyer get this picture? I fold it up and put in in my pocket. I put back everything neatly to how it was, hoping Sawyer won't find out.