Painful Memories and Failed Friends

Days had passed since Jays empty threat and Dru was curled up next to Cal after they'd fell asleep watching crappy tv and old movies, her fingers we're carefully tracing the long scar that went from one side of his chest to the other left there by the clam shell thoracotomy that was performed as a frantic attempt to save him, the memory that it didn't hit Dru hard as did the graphic images that now played out in front of her, she saw everything he went through from the fight to the stabbing,the frantic attempts to save him,the funeral,she saw Ethan break down and herself singing Bright Eyes as they led his coffin out to the graveyard and the freshly dug and waiting grave, the images and memories he kept locked inside hit her hard like a full speed freight train, she had managed to bring him back, gave Ethan his big brother back and even wiped out the scum that took his life too soon but she couldn't remove the scar, the permanent reminder of what he went through or the nightmarish memories he harboured,part of her still felt like she'd failed him, with shaking hands and shallow breaths she removed her hand from his chest and carefully got up so as not to wake him, grabbing her mp3 player she pressed play on the last song she ever sang, heading out to the roof she sat on the wall and softly sang along to her self.

" Is it a kind of a dream
Floating out on the tide
Following the river of death downstream
Oh, is it a dream?
There's a fog along the horizon
A strange glow in the sky
And nobody seems to know where it goes
And what does it mean?
Oh, is it a dream?

Bright eyes, burning like fire
Bright eyes, how can you close and fail?
How can the light that burned so brightly
Suddenly burn so pale?
Bright eyes

Is it a kind of a shadow
Reaching into the night
Wandering over the hills unseen
Or is it a dream?
There's a high wind in the trees
A cold sound in the air
And nobody ever knows when you go
And where do you start?
Oh, into the dark

Bright eyes, burning like fire
Bright eyes, how can you close and fail?
How can the light that burned so brightly
Suddenly burn so pale?
Bright eyes

Bright eyes, burning like fire
Bright eyes, how can you close and fail?
How can the light that burned so brightly
Suddenly burn so pale?
Bright eyes"