Fourty-Five

"Like this, baby girl. You got to take this piece, bring it over like this... Yeah, see? Easy. I knew you could do it."

Rosályn giggled, standing between her parents and finally learning how to properly braid her mommy's long, pretty hair. Well, French-braiding. That was a little harder than regular braiding which she had learned a long time ago.

Lance still lead her hands and helped her grab just the right amount of raven hair until she got to the regular braiding part. Then Lance leaned back and let her finish.

Once she ran out of hair to twist, Lance tied it off and flipped the braid over Keith's shoulder. "All done! High-five!" He held up his hand and she slapped his palm as hard as she could. "That's my girl!"

Rosályn wrapped her arms around Keith's neck, nuzzling into his shoulder. "Mommy, you so pretty now!"

"I wasn't pretty, before?" Keith mused, taking the empty bottle from Pike.

"Mommy's always pretty!" Rosályn wiggled around Keith to sit in front of him and look down at her little brother. "Pike, too."

Lance scooted closer, wrapping his arms around Keith's waist and resting his chin on Keith's shoulder. "I hate to agree, but I think our daughter is right. Mommy is always pretty."

Keith smiled, adjusting Pike in his arms. "Rosie, who's prettier? Mommy or daddy?"

Rosályn looked up at them with her big, dark blue eyes. She hummed, giggling as her father batted his eyes at her, and pointed to Keith. "Mommy! Mommy is pretty!"

Lance grinned as Keith laughed. "That's right. Mommy is the prettiest."

Keith hummed, turning in Lance's arms. "Take him for a minute. I gotta go. Rosie, do you need to go potty?"

Rosályn hummed, then nodded and wiggled off the couch. "Need go potty."

Lance chuckled, drawing Pike to his chest and helping Rosályn the rest of the way off the sofa. "Be right back. Pike will miss you guys too much if you're gone too long."

The two-and-a-half year old giggled as she trotted after Keith, grabbing his hand. "Be right back, Pike!"

Lance sighed and stood as Pike began to fuss. "Come on, little dude. I know I'm not mom, but this is just unfair."

Pike whimpered, face turning red. Lance lightly bounced and swayed with him, trying to settle him down. Pike only sobbed, shaking.

The blue paladin groaned, adjusting him to lay on his chest, resting Pike's head on his shoulder. "Pike, come on. Mom will be right back. It's not like he's leaving forever."

Lance patted Pike's back. "Geez, you're bigger than Rosie was." He huffed softly, going to adjust Pike again.

This time, Pike screamed. Lance cursed and held Pike up. "Pike- buddy, come on!"

Keith hurried back in, setting Rosályn down before taking Pike.

The infant settled down immediately, nuzzling into his mother.

Lance sighed, falling back onto the sofa as Keith hushed and swayed Pike. "Now I know what you feel like." He grumbled as Rosályn crawled into his lap.

Keith smiled. "He might look exactly like you, but now I'm definitely the favorite. Rosályn at least let me hold her."

"Yeah, which makes this even more unfair." Lance pouted, rubbing Rosályn's back as she nuzzled into him.

The red paladin hummed, kissing the top of Pike's head. "You'll live. Just give him a little while to warm up to you. You're his father. He'll let you hold him eventually."

Lance groaned, dropping his head a top Rosályn's. "Ro-Ro will just have to love me forever because Pike never will."

Rosályn squeaked and giggled as she was squeezed tightly to her daddy's chest. "Daddy! Pike love you, too!"

"Pie will never love me like mi pequeña princesa will." Lance buried his nose in her hair, kissing the top of her head. Keith rolled his eyes as Rosályn giggled.

"Pike, daddy! Not Pie!" Rosályn wiggled and twisted until she was sitting in his lap, her back against his abdomen. "Mommy! I hold Pike?"

Keith nodded, adjusting Pike. "I think I've settled him down enough." He mused, leaning over and helping Rosályn hold him. Lance tucked his arms under hers to keep Pike supported.

Pike hummed, curled up in his big sister's arms. His eye lids drooped as he fought sleep. His eyes widened as Keith moved. He whimpered, then calmed once Keith sat beside them.

He stretched an arm up over his head, reaching to Keith.

"Alright, alright." Keith murmured, carefully taking him back. Pike nestled into his chest, clutching his shirt tightly.

Lance sighed softly, squeezing Rosályn. "Sorry, Rosie. Looks like neither of us ever get mommy back."

Rosályn giggled, patting her father's arms.

~

Aneira grinned widely, cradling Pike carefully to her chest. "He's so beautiful! So little!"

"Little?" Lance huffed. "He's bigger than Rosie was."

The Galran giggled and nuzzled Pike's cheek. "He's so precious!"

Rosályn stood on her toes on the edge of the bed, trying to peek around Aneira to see her little brother.

"I can't believe he actually let's you hold him." Lance grumbled, burying his face in the pillow.

Aneira purred, turning to look back at the blue paladin. "Maybe it's the Galran part of him. He feels more comfortable in Galran arms."

Lance sighed. "So unfair. If I paint myself purple, will he let me hold him?"

The Galran woman giggled. "I doubt it. Galrans and humans feel different. I don't think he cares what you look like."

The blue paladin whined, grunting as Rosályn plopped her little bum down on his back. "Rosie."

Rosályn hummed, wiggling, then stretching out over his back. "I love you, daddy."

Lance smiled, reaching behind him to pat her. "Love you, too, pequeña princesa."

-----

956 words

Lol, Pie doesn't want his daddy.