Coalfly One Shot

Coal's POV

I was afraid to touch him. I had survived a deadly gang and my brothers, angry mobs, won the game of love and the heart of the smartest, most beautiful dragon in the world, and faced the wrath of her brother and father. I had battled thirty year old Sandwings at the age of two, and had survived countless sandstorms.

And yet the thing that scared me the most, was laying a talon on my own son.

I couldn't help it. He was just so...tiny. He looked so fragile, and I was clumsy. Firefly had no problem holding him, but that made perfect since. She was the one who had carried him, and besides, she was Firefly. You could trust her with anything. But me? I didn't have much of a reputation for being trustworthy. I was a spy, a traitor that would die violently if I dared to show my face in the Scorpion Den ever again. Dragons didn't trust me with their wallets, and here I was, expected to be responsible enough to hold a newborn child? It was crazy. I just didn't want to hurt him. He looked so peaceful with Firefly. If I held him instead... The part of me that wasn't terrified of dropping him was split in two- half afraid that he would cry, and half afraid that he wouldn't. Either way, terrifying. Why the hell did I find something so innocent and sweet so scary? It didn't make much sense. Firefly didn't help much. Well, at first.

It was barely ten minutes after he had hatched. Firefly had him in her arms and was staring down at him, her eyes sparkling with happiness. There was no doubting that he was her son. They both had Nightwing scales, but his were lighter, and he had the venomous barb on his tail. There was no venom now of course. That wouldn't come in until he turned three. I hovered near them, taking in every scale on him at the same time my brain tried to process the fact that I had a son.

"He's your son, you should hold him." Firefly insisted. I had stepped back.

" I don't want to hurt him," I explained. That was true. If I did, it'd kill me. The thought of me accidentally hurting him in some way made me want to die. He looked too perfect for me to handle.

"You're his father Coal. You can't hurt him." I grimaced. Clearly that advice had been interpreted a very different way with my own father.

"Tell that to my Dad." I commented, attempting to change the subject. Besides, he looked just right with Firefly. They matched. My yellow scales seemed out of place when compared to them.

"You are not your father. You are my husband, and I know for a fact that you could never hurt him. There's not a bone in your body that could." Well, that checked off one of my worries, but it was a long list to go down.

"But what if I drop him?"

"You won't."

"But what if I do?" She looked over at me, a faint smile on her face.

"You are completely overcomplicating this, and you are worrying far too much. Nothing bad is going to happen." I glanced back and forth between them. Maybe she was right. She usually was. Firefly, after all, was a genius. Other dragons might not agree, but at least compared to me, she was the most intelligent dragon to ever live. It was scary sometimes. Despite what she had said, I was still afraid. There was a pause, and he squeaked slightly. Firefly looked at him thoughtfully for a moment before turning back to me.

"Close your eyes." She commanded, and naturally, I did as I was told. I heard her walk over and place him in my arms. I frowned, and my fear spiked. I heard him whimper slightly, and I opened my eyes.

"See? Even he doesn't want me to hold him." I retorted.

"Relax." Firefly instructed, her voice as smooth as water. "He can sense your fear and it upsets him. If you relax, then he will too." I swallowed hard and tried to relax. Firefly smiled and backed away, watching. I looked down and cracked a grin. He was curled up in my arms, his head leaning against me as he fell asleep. I think he liked that I was warm, seeing as Sandwings radiate heat. That seemed to be something a lot of Nightwings liked, according to Thorn and Qibli anyway.

"Hey Coal?" Firefly whispered. "Guess what?"

"What?" I asked, my voice quiet. I didn't want to risk waking him up.

"You're holding him, and nothing bad is happening." My grin grew and I looked up at her. I almost felt like I had been tricked in some way, like her brain had found some angle that swerved around all my fears.

"How are you so smart?" I questioned. She smiled and glanced down at our son.

"Scrolls, I think." She suggested. I scowled and she laughed. Of course she would bring up scrolls.