Pearkeeper One-Shot

Pear, for years, hadn't had many happy days in her life. But after she met Rainkeeper, everything got a bit brighter. Now she had someone who cared about what happened to her. Someone who loved her for who she was, and didn't force her to talk about things she'd rather leave unsaid.

She liked Rainkeeper because he trusted her, and because he was kind. He never so much as spoke a harsh word to her, and they very rarely fought. She loved that Rainkeeper told her things. He entrusted her, and her alone, with the little details of himself that he kept hidden away from the rest of the world.

And even after Rainkeeper found out about what Pear's parents did to her, he didn't judge. He still looked at her the same. He'd offer to help, to end it, but Pear knew it wouldn't be worth it. Punishment would only add more wrath to her father and his fist.

So they didn't talk about it. Rainkeeper didn't ask what had happened whenever she'd show up, covered in scratches and bruises, and she wouldn't ask him to stop it.

She knew it hurt Rainkeeper to see her in pain, but she couldn't help that. This was just something she had to go through. 

It would stop soon enough, she told herself. As soon as she was old enough, she'd leave that house forever, and maybe Rainkeeper would go with her. She'd be free. Free and unharmed for the rest of her life.

But one night, Pear's father was angrier then usual. And everything fell apart.

She knew the moment her father's talons collided with her face that tonight was going to be worse. But her father didn't care. He just kept kicking her and punching, and clawing. Pear screamed at the pain, screamed loud enough that her mother intervened, which only happened when she worried Pear would end up dead.

But then he turned his fists to Pear's mother, something he had never done before. 

Pear knew she should've helped her, but her mother had stood by and watched too many times to deserve Pear's mercy. 

Pear saw her opportunity, and she ran for it, ran right out the door of the house and darted through the village. She thought she was going to pass out by the time she reached the place she was looking for, and lightly knocked on the window.

Tears were streaming down her face, and she was shaking by the time Rainkeeper opened the window and saw her. He stared at her for a moment before retreating and reappearing next to her, a small box of medical supplies in his talons.

"Pear," he whispered, setting the box down and hugging her. "It's okay." Pear shook her head.

"It's not." She said, her voice wavering. "It never is." Rainkeeper silently started to patch up the wounds, hoping to calm her down.

"I'm sorry," She told him. Rainkeeper paused.

"What on earth do you have to be sorry for?" He questioned, staring at her.

"I'm sorry you have to do this." She explained. "I...I know it hurts you to see me like this, and I'm sorry that I put you through that pain."

"Pear, you never have to apologize for that." He declared. "Not when you're like this."

"But it hurts you," she whispered. "And you should never have to feel pain." He failed to smile as he replied.

"I'm all too familiar with a different kind of pain then yours," he admitted, taking her talons in his. 

"How so?" She asked, needing a distraction of any kind.  Rainkeeper stared out at the forest.

"Have I ever showed you my favorite tree?" He questioned.

"No."

"Can you fly?"

"I think so." Rainkeeper helped her up, and they flew through the forest, stopping not far away from one of the hatcheries. 

Rainkeeper paused at one of the trees, his talons brushing against faded talons marks that were permanently etched into the wood. Pear tilted her head as she read the faded words.

My brother

"Before my sister hatched," Rainkeeper began. "Pineapple attacked the hatchery, killing ten dragonets inside. One of them was my brother. I cleaned up the hatchery, and I buried him under this tree before going back and staying beside my sister. I've never told anyone that it's here, but I like to come here, whenever I need to think, or calm myself down. It's just a quiet place that I have, where no one will disturb me." 

He looked over at Pear.

"You could come here too, if you need to." He offered. "When I'm away at school and can't help. Your parents wouldn't find you here. It's safe here." Pear stared at him, looking grateful.

"Thank you." She whispered, not quite believing what was happening. The fact that Rainkeeper was sharing this place with her, sharing what it mean to him. Sharing something he hadn't told another soul about....

"Rainy," She began, studying the tree.

"Yes?"

"I love you."