32

Chris' POV

"Hey Scarlett. How was lunch?"

Enlightening, she said, amusement foremost in her tone. You do realize that once she finally believed me that we were through, we had to debunk another one of her crazy ideas. Megan thought you were with Sadie now.

"What was her explanation for Sebastian?" I asked, more than a little confused myself.

She thought you three had some strange kind of poly relationship. Why else would you both treat Sadie like your girlfriend and all sleep together? You cockblocked yourself there.

"Fuck! Where does she come up with these crazy ideas?"

I could hear the smile in Scarlett's voice as she enjoyed tormenting me. She was very non-judgmental, actually. She was more concerned that she was getting in the way or doing something she shouldn't. She even told Sadie that you'd kissed and it was okay if she wanted to fire her.

"Shit - I don't even know what to say to that, Scar. Please tell me the two of you got her straightened out?"

You're welcome. She's very sweet - and a little naïve at times. I'm almost positive she's a virgin.

"Somehow that wouldn't surprise me," I groaned. I was already in need of a cold shower after that kiss and the thought of her being a virgin had me achingly hard in seconds. 

Ready for Ellen?

"Yeah, I think so. I've got the DVR set to record and we've got to be at La Guardia by 5 am."

Better you than me. I hate those fast turnarounds.

"I know you do. So there shouldn't be any miscommunications on our part?"

Chris, if you have issues after this it's because you fucked up - so don't fuck it up. I like her.

"What about Tom? Did she say anything about him?"

Scarlett snorted. Nothing bad - does anyone ever say anything bad about Tom?

"No," I agreed. "They don't."

She said that he's been really nice and they talk a lot. She was really pleased that he brought her flowers when he came to visit. I kind of got that her ex really didn't do anything romantic for her.

"Oh," I said, surprised. "I suppose I better step up my game then." I was expecting Scarlett to agree, but she didn't say anything right away, only letting out a heartfelt sigh.

Look, I know you like her, but you're going to have to prove to her you're not like every other guy she's dated. Even if she was ready for a new relationship, she doesn't see you as an option.

"I don't – I mean, I'm not -"

Take a breath, Chris. I'm not saying she doesn't like you - she does - Sadie and I both agree on that; but take it slow with her. Her asshole ex did a number on her - and not just physically. She didn't come out and say it, but from what we could tell, she really doesn't believe that you're interested in a real relationship.

I blew out a deep breath, increasingly pissed at Megan's ex. I wished I could beat the shit out of him, but I couldn't.

At least you know you've got time with her and - she'll be staying at your house for a couple weeks. I'm sure you can manage some alone time or maybe even a casual date.

"What if she says no?" I asked quietly. Granted it didn't happen often, but Megan wasn't the kind of girl I usually took out - and maybe that was a good thing.