88

Megan's POV

"Thank you so much for coming, Shawn," I said as I slid my arms around his waist for a hug. "It really means a lot to me."

Our pace had slowed slightly and a glance showed that Chris and Sadie were pretty far ahead of us...and I was almost certain Sadie was dragging Chris away to give us a moment to talk. I was just glad they'd met us for dinner tonight so Chris could see that there really wasn't anything between me and Shawn - it was all in his imagination.

"Any time, Meg," he said with a grin, hugging me back, wrapping his long arms around me. "Let me know how this all turns out. I think they're going to want both of them."

"I will," I promised. "I think they will, too."

"I still can't believe how much we got done in two days - that's gotta be a record or something." We'd managed to fine tune an album's worth of songs to a rough cut in two days, including finishing the two songs I'd originally started working on, which was pretty incredible. Shawn had been really helpful; he'd had a lot of good advice for me.

"I wish you could stay a couple more days," I sighed. "It's going to be boring just sitting on set again."

"Me too, but I have to get back home."

He abruptly jerked me into an alcove, out of sight of passersby. Shawn met my eyes, cupping my face with one large, warm hand.

"Shawn? What's wrong?" I asked, looking past him for the reason we were hiding. I hadn't noticed any fangirls - and I could pick them out from a mile away from being around Chris, Tom and Sebastian so much.

He shook his head slightly, his unruly hair flopping into his eyes. I reached up to brush it back, knowing it wouldn't stay for long but needing to be able to read him. Shawn's eyes really were the window to his soul and I was thankful he hadn't mastered the art of hiding his emotions yet.

"Nothing. It was just really good to see you again," he said after a moment. "I didn't know how much I missed you until yesterday." He brushed his thumb over my cheekbone. "Funny how that happens - it just hits you all of a sudden."

"Take a picture - it'll last longer," I suggested, nipping at his hand to try and lighten the mood. I took a small step back to put a little distance between us; this wasn't our usual banter - something had changed between us...and I didn't like it.

"I need to tell you something."

"I'm listening," I said, half afraid of what he was going to say.

Shawn captured my chilly hands in his larger ones, completely engulfing them and chafing them lightly to warm them.

"What if I told you I really like you, Meg?"

"Don't, Shawn -" I begged him, my heart beating faster and an uncomfortable lump in my throat. "Once you say those words you can't take them back."

"I don't want to ruin our friendship, but I feel like I have to tell you-"

"No - no - you don't. It won't change anything, Shawn. I'm marrying Chris - you know that already."

A muscle ticked in his jaw and his eyes were shiny when they met mine. I tugged my hands from his and yanked on the front of his jacket to pull him down just enough so I could put my arms around his neck and give him a hug.

"Where's a phonebook when you need one?" he teased me, wrapping his arms around me tightly.

"You'll always be my friend, Shawn," I murmured in his ear. "And I promise you that someday soon you're gonna find the girl that's right for you - but it's not me - and I think you know that."