47

Chris' POV

"Scott, where are we going?" Megan asked from her position in my brother's arms. She was so small he could easily carry her, too. "I can walk, you know."

"You'll just have to wait and see," Scott said, giving me a grin. He was loving being a part of my plan, I could tell. "And it's really just easier to carry you, Meg. You're less likely to fall or break a shoe or something. Put your hands down and leave the blindfold alone."

"Jerk. Break a shoe one time - and I can't see through this blindfold! You're really not going to tell me?"

"Nope." He set her down in the front seat of my car and buckled her in. "Do me a favor and stay put while I grab a couple things, okay?"

"Okay," she said, obediently folding her hands in her lap and laying her head back on the headrest when he shut the door.

"Thank you, doll," I murmured as I kissed Sadie's cheek when she handed me the bag she'd packed for Megan. I tossed it in the trunk with mine and shut it; since I'd made reservations for dinner at a nice restaurant tonight, this way we wouldn't have to come back here first to change. I gave my brother a hug. "Thanks again, Scottie - I owe you one," I whispered. 

He gave me a big grin. "Happy to help, bro."

I climbed in the car, setting the GPS and taking off, not saying anything to Megan yet.

"Chris, can I take this off now?" Megan asked, reaching up to touch her blindfold.

"Sure. How'd you know it was me?" I asked when she slipped the fabric off, folding her arms and looking over at me, certain that I hadn't done anything to give myself away.

"You and Scott wear different cologne. Why the secrecy?"

"I didn't think you'd come with me if I asked - even if I asked nicely."

She snorted, raising an eyebrow. "So you decided kidnapping is the answer? We need to discuss your thought processes, Evans."

She sat back and looked out the window at the scenery passing us by until she suddenly turned the radio up, happily singing along with the song. I was pleasantly surprised to find she had an excellent singing voice. I smiled at her spontaneity and sang along with her, laughing when my tongue tripped over the words. Megan kept going, singing the next song, too - which was a blend of English and Spanish, getting into it and even almost dancing in her seat. I wished I could record it - it was just one of those moments I knew I'd never forget.

"Did you memorize the song?" I asked when she was done. "I don't even know what that song's really about."

"Yes, I can't say I like Bieber but I really like this song - it's something else! But yes, I also speak fluent Spanish... and French... as well as some German," she said giving me a smile.

"Overachiever."

"Don't you speak any other languages?"

I shook my head. "Just the important phrases. Languages aren't really my thing."

* *

"We're going horseback riding?" she asked when we got to the location a half hour later, seeing the sign on the way in to the ranch.

"Why not? I like riding; Sadie got me started on it this summer."

She threw herself at me, catching me off guard as she wrapped her arms around my waist and hugged me tightly. I put my arms around her, just enjoying the moment and the feel of her body pressed to mine. I could feel myself hardening as the smell of her shampoo reached me, the wind tossing her hair around us. I raised one hand to contain the silky strands, keeping them from blowing wildly into my face.