63

Chris' POV

I watched as Megan walked slowly up the stairs; I was a little worried because she wasn't acting quite like her normal self right now. I decided to wait for her, so when she didn't come down in a couple minutes, I headed up to check on her. I just had this gut feeling that something just wasn't right and I knew better than to ignore it.

"No, Mom, it's not that bad; I'll be okay for a couple more days," I heard Megan say just as I was ready to knock on the bathroom door. Her voice was so low I had to strain to hear her and it sounded like she was crying. "I'll just have to be careful. I mean it feels the same as last time, so I at least know what to expect."

Because I was listening so closely I jumped when the water started running to wash her hands. I knew I probably shouldn't be eavesdropping, but I just didn't know what to think right now. Megan knew there was something wrong with her and she didn't want to tell me. The tiredness, mood swings and lack of appetite; all of it was suddenly adding up. But why would she give me a ski vacation if she wouldn't be able to ski? That didn't seem like something she'd do.

"No, just today. It didn't hurt until a little bit ago, so as long as I don't let it get out of hand, I'll be okay. It's been over five years, Mom - and everything else has been going so well I just hoped that it was the kind that go away on their own."

She sounded really upset and I ran my hands through my hair as things stopped making sense. What she was saying didn't add up with what I was seeing. My anxiety was trying to overtake me because I was suddenly terrified there was something really wrong with her and I was going to lose her.

"Love you, too. I'll call you later, okay? Don't tell Daddy yet; not until I've seen Dr Kay in a couple days - I don't want him to worry just because I feel crappy. Yes, I will talk to Chris when I know more. Bye Mom," she said as she opened the door suddenly and saw me standing there, listening.

Her eyes widened and the next thing I knew she was falling. I caught her before she could hit the floor and carried her limp body to my old room, laying her on the bed. This wasn't normal for her at all - and it wasn't a fake faint just to avoid talking to me - she was out cold.

Actively panicking now, I quickly found Megan's phone on the hallway floor and called her mom back. As I waited for her to answer, I went back to sit on the bed next to Megan, taking her limp hand in mine.

"Mrs Jones? It's Chris. Sorry to bother you but Megan just fainted and I don't know what to do!"

All right, Chris. Calm down and take a deep breath. I did as she asked and she continued speaking. If you just lay her down flat, she'll wake up in a couple minutes, Mrs Jones said evenly. She usually doesn't stay out for very long. Did she hit her head when she went down?

"No, I caught her before she fell. What's going on?"

Her mom sighed. Megan said she was going to talk to you, Chris.

"She's not... she's not dying, is she?" I managed to choke out, tears prickling at the corners of my eyes.

Goodness, no! I exhaled loudly in relief - I'd needed to hear that so badly it wasn't even funny. Chris, this is something she needs to talk to you about herself, okay? Tell Megan I'll call her later - we're just heading into church now.

"Okay," I agreed, tightening my grip on her hand. I watched her closely and after a minute or two her eyelashes fluttered and she started to wake up.

"Megan, baby. Are you okay?"

Her eyes opened and she looked at me blankly. "Where am I?"

"We're at my mom's house in Sudbury; you fainted."