98

Megan's POV

"Are you ready to go home, baby?" Chris asked me as he put his arms around me.

"Yeah," I sighed, looking around the hospital room to make sure I'd packed everything. "I'm so ready to sleep in our own bed without someone poking or prodding me every couple hours."

"I'm gonna take the last of this stuff down and then I'll be back up for you three," he said as a nurse knocked on the door.

"I have your discharge papers, Mrs Evans. There's just a few things we need to go over before we can finish things up."

"Go," I told him, waving him away when he gave me an uncertain look. "I've got this. We'll be right here when you get back."

* *

"We're home, baby," he said as we pulled into the drive of our Sudbury home.

I hit the garage door button so we could pull inside to unload. It had snowed while we were gone but thankfully someone had already cleared our walks and driveway. I saw Lisa's car and knew that she and my mom were already here to help us get settled in since I wasn't allowed to lift anything more than one of the babies at a time for at least the next couple weeks.

"And we're not leaving again for at least a couple days, right?" I asked, looking up at him tiredly. It felt like we'd been gone for weeks but in reality it had only been four days.

"Right. I told our moms we wanted some time to ourselves after we get unloaded."

"How'd that go over?"

"Surprisingly well," he said, giving me a grin.

"It'll be good for us all," I agreed as he parked and turned off the engine. "Not that I don't love our moms, but we need to figure out how do this on our own."

"I know, but I told Ma that we'll see them for dinner on Saturday when we pick up Dodger, if that's okay."

"That's okay with me," I said, carefully getting out of the vehicle. "We'll have to introduce Dodger to Levi and Lily eventually."

"How are you feeling?" Lisa asked, giving me a hug. "You look better today."

"Sore," I admitted. "I think I feel worse this time than I did last time."

"Well, last time you didn't have two babies pulled out of you," she pointed out.

"True. Just 10 pounds of grossness. I think I prefer the end result this time."

Lisa laughed and went to grab some bags from the back. We'd had a crazy amount of gifts sent to the hospital from our friends and family. This was just the last of them - we'd had to send the rest with Chris' mom and sisters because our hospital room was too full.

"We've started a thank-you list for you," my mom said when I got in the house. "All the cards are still with the bags so you can go through everything as you have time. No rush."

"Thanks, Mom," I said, giving her a hug. "We really appreciate it."

"I'm supposed to tell you that Chris' mom and sisters made up some meals for you two and put them in the freezers. I picked up a few groceries for you so you won't have to leave the house if you don't want to."  

"That's so great," Chris said, having heard the last bit as he walked past carrying both car seats. "Thanks Ma!" he said loud enough so she could hear him - and making the babies start crying.

"I didn't even think of that," I said, letting go of my mom and following her into the nursery. I was a little upset - I should have thought of that. I unbuckled Lily and took her out of her seat to calm her. "No shouting, Chris - you scared them."

"Sorry buddy," he said, picking up Levi. "Daddy didn't mean to scare you. Shhhh!"

"Now tell us what you need done while you take care of your babies, okay?"

*      *      *

New Year's Day, 2019
Chris' POV

I looked down contentedly at my sleeping wife and kissed the top of her head. We were laying on the large comfortable couch with both babies in their little bouncy seats beside us, the TV on for some background noise as we all took a nap. I wasn't sure why I'd woken up, but I knew I wouldn't fall asleep again for a while.  

I'd never thought I'd finally have this - a family of my own. I'd wanted it for so long - years - even before my first nephew was born. I knew things weren't going to be easy - adjusting to actually being a dad was gonna take a while, but that was okay; I had plenty of time. 

As soon as I'd learned Megan was pregnant, I'd started working on clearing up my calendar so I could be home with her and the kids for a couple months. Other than a newborn photo shoot Megan wanted and the Lexus commercial, I didn't have any major film commitments until fall.

It was a new year again, and I suddenly realized that in less than two weeks, it would be two years since I'd met Sadie and she'd saved my life on the streets of Munich. There wasn't a day that went by when I didn't thank my lucky stars for Sadie coming into my life when she did. Without her, I'd never have met Megan or become a father to these two beautiful babies. I'd probably still be living the single life - which I surprisingly didn't miss at all.

I smiled as Megan shifted in her sleep, rolling so she was laying on her belly on me, one hand resting on my heart. I covered her hand with my own, fixing the blanket so she was covered up again.

All I knew was that I couldn't wait to see what this new year and our life together as a family had in store for us.

***************************

A/N: So this is the end of Not Without You [Chris Evans]. Thanks so much for reading, voting and commenting!

The last book of this series is now available to read : Falling for You [Tom Hiddleston].