39

Chris' POV

When we got to the football field, I exchanged a look with Sadie. "Do you want to tell her or should I?" I asked in a low voice while Isaac was chattering loudly at Megan.

"I think you two really need to talk," she said quietly, a small smile teasing at the corner of her lips. "She can't avoid you forever."

I nodded, agreeing with her completely. When Megan got out and started following Isaac around to the trunk, Sadie said something to her I didn't catch. In the mirror I saw Megan's bright green eyes cut to me and then away again before she nodded once, her face tight. She waited until Sadie and Isaac started walking away before slowly opening the driver's door and stiffly sliding into the front seat, arms crossed.

"Thank you for not making me chase after you," I said, giving her a wry smile.

"I thought about it but Sadie said to let you talk because you need to fill me in. That's the only reason I'm listening to you right now, just so you know - so talk."

"First off, I want to apologize for the stupid shit I sent you last night. I don't know why I would've said any of that when it's not what I think, but I did. I'm sorry, Megan."

She nodded, but didn't relax. Megan's stiff posture radiated hurt anger; some of her earlier comments indicated that she believed I'd only kissed her and flirted with her for my own amusement, not because I liked her. I thought I'd made it clear to her I was interested in her - I was still interested in her - but this might have set me back a long ways...if not permanently.

Megan worried her bottom lip between her teeth before deciding to speak her mind. "Sadie thinks Shayna someoneorother sent that stuff using your phone," she said hesitantly. "Could she have done that?"

"Yes," I said seriously.

"She knows your unlock code?"

"I haven't changed it in a while," I said with a sigh. "It's my dog's name in numeric form."

"Dodger?"

I shook my head. "East – my dog before Dodger. I had him for a long time and I really wasn't planning on getting another dog, but then I found Dodger."

"I changed mine after I broke up with Andy along with any other passwords he might have known – including my Netflix password. My next question is would she have done that?" she asked, pinning me with her deep green gaze.

"I don't know, but what it comes down to is that it was my phone and you thought I sent it, so I have to own up to it. I was stupid drunk – and that's no excuse – but I really am so sorry I hurt you. Can you forgive me?"

I reached out and took her small chilly hand in mine, and I think the only reason she didn't pull away was because she was cold, but I'd take it. I waited for her to respond, my eyes on her face as she looked out the window, watching the people going into the game. Finally she looked back over at me for a long moment before pulling her hand away.

"I'll think about it – that's the best I can give you right now," she said quietly, letting her hair fall forward to hide her face from me. "It hurt, seeing what you really thought of me, you know?"

I reached over and tucked her hair back so I could see her face. Her lashes were damp, making me feel awful all over again for causing her this pain. "The only true thing in that whole message was that I hate it when you stand on the counter." I could tell she wasn't expecting to hear that, but it was true. "You're so accident prone that I just hate seeing you up there because if you fall you'd really get hurt," I explained.

"Did Sebastian put you up to that?" she asked with a choked laugh, pulling out her phone and typing rapidly. "He told me earlier today that he bought a step-stool for me to use."