51

Chris' POV

When Sadie and I left the studio to go home that night without Megan, it was like I'd forgotten something. Even the ride home was quieter than usual without her chattering with Sadie about something or other. Sadie called her sons to check on them during the ride home, putting them on speaker so we could both talk. On the bright side, we got Sadie to agree to bring the boys to my mom's house for Thanksgiving, so she said she'd have Megan get their tickets squared away first thing Monday.

"Sorry, boy," I sighed when Dodger came running to meet us at the door and looked expectantly for Megan, just as disappointed as I was that she wasn't there. Sadie and I gave him a little extra attention, but it wasn't the same.  It was amazing how quickly and thoroughly she'd made herself a part of our lives; it was going to be a long week and a half without her here.

Scott heard us get home and came into the kitchen to help make dinner. "It's sure quiet without Megan singing something or other to annoy me. I talked to her earlier when she came to pack her bags."

"Or arguing with you about stupid stuff," I agreed. "You guys have the weirdest arguments. Did she say anything to you?"

Scott glanced over at Sadie before he gave me a look that said we'd talk later. "I made her give me her cousins address and phone numbers."

"I have them too," Sadie said as she pulled ingredients out of the fridge. "Did she tell you she got to film a music video today?"

"For who? She showed me a picture of her doppelganger and holy shit, they're identical!"

"I know!"

"But she didn't say anything about a music video. To be fair, I had to get going to meet up with some friends so we didn't talk for long."

"Shawn Mendes. Josh says he records a lot of stuff for The Descendants - one of those newer Disney Channel shows."

"Oh - he sings Stitches. You've heard it before - I know you have." He hummed a little bit and I nodded, recognizing the song now. I'd heard Megan singing it before. No wonder she'd said yes when she found out who it was going to be with.

"It's a little funny that she knows a singer on sight but not a lot of actors until you mention a name or a really well known movie."

"I don't think she watches a lot of TV, Chris. Have you seen her music collection, though? She's a total audiophile."

"I will totally agree with that assessment," Sadie said.  "She's even got me listening to a lot of different stuff since she made me a new playlist and introduced me to Spotify. She's got pretty good taste, too."

*     *

Scott, Dodger, and Sadie did a pretty good job of keeping me distracted, but at least a hundred times I had to stop myself from picking up my phone to call her because I knew she was babysitting tonight and wouldn't have time to talk. I settled on a quick text around 8 just so I could settle down.

How are things going
Mary Poppins?

How are things goingMary Poppins?