68

Chris' POV

I must have fallen asleep again, I determined as I woke up to someone gently brushing my shaggy hair back out of my face. My head was on my arms, which were leaning on the side rails of Megan's hospital bed. The touch was familiar and I looked up to see that Megan was awake and smiling fondly at me.

"Sorry - I didn't mean to wake you," she said quietly. "I just couldn't resist moving that wild hair anymore."

"It's okay baby," I said, sitting up slowly and taking her hand in mine, linking our fingers together out of habit and kissing her hand. "How are you feeling?"

She cocked her head endearingly. "Tired and achy...maybe hungry...I'm not really sure. What are you doing here so early? Didn't you go home and get some sleep?"

"Do you know who I am?" I asked her, holding my breath as I waited for her to answer. Her eyebrows drew together in confusion and she patted my hand with her free one.

"Chris, why wouldn't I know you? Pretty sure the whole world knows you."

Relief flooded me as I jumped to my feet and leaned over suddenly to kiss her, startling her with my quick movement. "You're back," I murmured against her lips. "You're back."

She brought her other hand up to my face, brushing away the couple tears of happiness that had escaped my eyes as she stared into my eyes with a bewildered expression. "Chris, what on earth has gotten into you? I didn't go anywhere other than surg-"

I kissed her again, my free hand cupping her face, her skin so soft and warm - the pallor of before long gone, replaced by flushed cheeks and the familiar sparkle in her eyes.

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you, baby," I said, peppering her lips with kisses.

*                *            *

Megan's POV

"How did the surgery go?" I asked my nurse before getting a pang of déjà vu. I shook my head to clear it. "Did I ask you that already?"

"You did yesterday, but your surgery went just fine," the nurse said. "The doctor will be in shortly to check on you and talk to you both. Are you in any pain right now?"

"Some," I said after I took a moment to listen to my body. "It's tolerable."

* *

"Good morning, Miss Jones," one of my doctors said as he came into my room. He picked up a tablet and typed something on it before giving me his full attention.

"Hey Doc," I said with a smile, submitting to being examined. Chris had insisted on staying put, saying he wanted to hear the doctor's instructions so he didn't do anything to hurt me.

"Your incision looks good - all the staples are still in place." He gently palpitated my abdomen, feeling for anything abnormal. "Any pain beyond general soreness?"

"No," I said, shaking my head. "How long will I have these staples?"

"At least a week, maybe longer - depending on how quickly you heal. It seems like the other issue has resolved itself, would you agree Mr Evans?"

"Yes, it did."

"What are you talking about?" I asked curiously. "Other issue?"

"Miss Jones, when you woke up after your surgery yesterday you were...manifesting...symptoms of amnesia in the form of identity confusion."

"I didn't remember who I was?" I asked in alarm. Chris linked his hand with mine, his thumb drawing slow circles over the back of my hand.

"You thought you were Evelyn, baby," Chris said quietly, his eyes serious. "And I was Steve to you."