65

Megan's POV

I was glad to be back in Atlanta, I decided. I'd woken up well before my alarm and wasn't ready to get up yet, snug in my warm bed, my limbs tangled with Chris'. I let my eyes leisurely drink in his handsome features; I could watch him all day and not be bored - his face was so expressive, even in repose. He looked so peaceful right now; his tousled bedhead somehow managing to look picture perfect. His large limbs sprawled over most of the bed, his arm still around me, holding me next to him.

I absently traced the words of his clavicle tattoo as I turned over things in my mind. He said it again last night, those three little words. I'd almost been asleep when he'd said it, but I'd heard him; I still wasn't ready to say them back to him, though.

I stilled my hand when Chris started to move in his sleep, pulling me close and touching his face to mine. His breathing quickly returned to the slow and steady pattern of before and he didn't wake.

As I laid there, listening to the rhythm of his heartbeats, I suddenly realized that somewhere along the way, I had fallen in love with this man. In a lot of ways, Chris really was just the guy next door, and I hadn't known him for very long, but somehow he'd managed to become essential to my happiness in a way I'd never expected, let alone anticipated.

I shifted to try and get comfortable, the increasing pain in my abdomen reminding me it was a good thing I was going to see the doctor today. The past couple days had made me very sure that something wasn't quite right with me, each day worse than the one before. I hadn't been able to keep anything down yesterday other than water and my pain pills, which had made Chris even more worried. I managed to convince him it was just because of the pain, but I myself wasn't even convinced that was the case.

I glanced at the clock, deciding I should actually get up and go shower. We were supposed to be leaving in about an hour and I knew it would take me longer to get ready then it would Chris. I untangled myself from him and eased out of bed, not wanting to wake him just yet.

I fought a round of nausea in the shower, just barely winning this time. I leaned against the shower wall, the water on as hot as I could stand as my body trembled uncontrollably.

"Megan, are you okay? I thought I heard something," Chris asked, coming quickly into the bathroom. I could hear the worry in his voice and felt bad that I was scaring him again.

"I'm okay," I started to answer, but it must not have been fast enough to satisfy him because the next thing I knew the door was opening and he was joining me in the shower, carefully pulling me into his arms.

"Did you get sick again? You're shaking, baby."

I rested my head on his warm chest, closing my eyes and letting him hold me up. "Not quite. My body hates me," I said, my voice breaking. "I didn't mean to wake you up."

He brushed my hair back so he could see my face. "I needed to get up anyway. Good thing you see the doctor today or I'd be dragging you in to the nearest ER." The little worry lines were back between his eyebrows again for a moment before he consciously composed his face.

"Sorry," I murmured. "Are you still coming with me today to my appointment?"

"Of course I am...unless you don't want me there." His eyes held mine, the blue a little greener today than I'd seen it before. He tried to cover his worry well - and he was a very good actor - but I could still tell how concerned he was about today in the little things, like the way he held me, one hand rubbing small soothing circles on my back.

"I'd really like it if you can be there, but I'll understand if you can't get away for the whole time."

"I'm free until this afternoon's mandatory meeting," he said, giving me a gentle kiss. "Not everyone's back yet today, so it worked out. Finish getting wet and I'll help you with your hair."