76

Megan's POV

Unsurprisingly, my tests showed that I had a concussion from how hard I'd hit the tiled bathroom floor after Macy had decked me with the gun. I remembered that now that my brain fog was clearing somewhat. Thanks to her, I was also sporting a shiny row of staples on the side of my head...it's a good thing I didn't look good with short hair for as many scars as I had on my head by now. At least my vision was almost normal again too, so that was a plus.

The doctor had insisted on admitting me at least overnight for observation when he'd learned I didn't have anyone to look after me right now; I had to be woken periodically to keep from sleeping too deeply. Since Sadie was in South Dakota, both Tom's were back in Britain, and Chris was still in Atlanta for a couple more days none of them were around. My poor roommate was in the ICU; as they were bringing me to my room, the nice nurse told me she'd learned Sebastian was going to be okay.

I suddenly realized I had absolutely no idea where my phone was - so Chris didn't even know I was in the hospital again. At this rate, he was probably going to think I was more trouble than I was worth.

Now that I was alone, I couldn't stop myself from thinking about the past couple hours. I fought back tears - crying wouldn't help my pounding headache. I took a couple of deep breaths and closed my eyes, focusing instead on my songs I'd been rehearsing all week. I was finally just drifting off when I heard someone entering my room that wasn't my nurse - the sound of the footsteps was wrong. I opened my eyes in alarm only to see what looked like Chris walking towards my bed.

"Chris? Is it really you?" I asked, rubbing my eyes and not entirely sure I wasn't dreaming - he was supposed to be in Atlanta yet.

"Hey baby," Chris said, sitting on the bed beside me and leaning over to kiss my forehead. "It's really me. I didn't mean to wake you."

"I'm glad you did - I'm so happy to see you!" I threw my arms around his neck, just hugging him tight for a long moment, fighting tears again.

He carefully put his arms around me, rubbing up and down my back gently. He really was here, I accepted as I breathed in the familiar intoxicating mixture of his Gucci cologne, his favorite herbal shampoo and that underlying spicy Chris smell. His skin was warm under my cold hands and the feel of his arms around me was just what I needed right now.

"When did you get here and how did you know where I was?" I asked, kissing his neck. "I don't know where my phone is or I would've called you."

"I'm psychic?" Chris said, making me smile against his skin. "I'm so glad you're okay, baby. I was so worried when I got that alert."  I felt him exhale deeply in relief; that little noise was my undoing and I lost it.

"I was so scared... I wasn't ever...gonna see you again!" I managed to get out between sobs.

"Me too, but it's gonna be okay now." His voice was rough with emotion as I sniffled into his shirt. "You scared the hell out of me tonight. I couldn't find you anywhere and I didn't know what'd happened to either of you."

*          *            *

Chris' POV

I shifted to pick Megan up and pulled her into my lap, wrapping my arms around her and peppering her face with kisses, making her giggle even as she cried.

"I'm sorry," Megan sniffed, rubbing her face against mine and I was sure my five o'clock shadow was abrading her sensitive skin.

"Me too, baby," I murmured brokenly, unable to push my emotions away any longer; she was safe and in my arms again. "I'm sorry I couldn't get there sooner. You don't know how glad I am that you're both okay."